2. "IF I HAVE SEEN FURTHER IT IS BY
STANDING ON THE SHOULDERS OF GIANTS”
- ISAAC NEWTON
3. UK LEGISLATION
Copyright Designs and Patents Act 1988 (“CDPA”)
Section 30. Criticism, review, quotation and news reporting.
4. PASSLE’S TECHNOLOGY
Passle’s technology enables users to select a quote or passage from an article online and
comment on it.
There are limits imposed by the software to ensure fair use of the third-party content.
• Only 140 words can be selected from an article.
• There is always an attribution link back to the original article.
• When a quotation is made, a user is able to give comment on, critique, and/or review
the given source material.
8. FAIR USE COPYRIGHT EXPLAINED BY
Fair use for quotation, critique or review
The Society of Authors advises that limited citations of a work are allowed if used
solely for the purpose of critique or review under the following conditions:
• Providing the work is publicly available
• The source of the work is acknowledged
• The quoted material is supplemented by topical discussion or assessment
• The extent of material quoted is considered an acceptable amount for the purpose