1. Music videos: codes and conventions
The conventions of a music video vary depending on
genre of music. However, the general conventions
• The Style
• The Camera
• The Editing Techniques
• The Sound (non diegetic and diegetic)
• Mise en Scene – props, lighting, costume – hair and
makeup, location/setting, and colours.
• Notions of looking - stereotyping
6. ‘Black Magic’ by Little Mix
What kind of music video is Little Mix’s Black Magic and
how can you tell?
Black Magic is a performance music video/music video
with a narrative.
In the video, the main events that take place are…
This is/is not in chronological order because…
The message of this music video is…
I think this is/is not an effective music video because…