LIST 4373 WEBINAR #2
SEPTEMBER 19, 2016
REFLECTION DUE: 9/25
Dr. Peggy Semingson
Webinar materials also located here: http://bit.ly/2ci7HMl
Webinar Join Link: http://bit.ly/2cc2z1J
The link to the recording will be posted to Blackboard
in the late evening of 9/19/16!
This webinar is sponsored by
the “coffee owls”!!!
Friendly reminders for the course [content sharing]
Quick BB reminders about session content [content sharing]
Balanced literacy (GRR) review [content sharing]
Guided reading tutorial (found on Blackboard in session 3)
Comprehension and vocabulary overview [Guided reading tutorial PPT]
Figure 19 overview [content sharing]
Readwritethink lesson plans as resources (“guided reading” as search term) and
then look inside “lesson plan”
Reminders about Week 4 assignments
What it looks like to join the new Ultra session. Please use the
cog to set up your audio/video before the webinar begins! You
do not have to use video during the session, but be sure you
can hear the session.
the “cog” to
set up your
APPLICATION: HOW ARE YOU
TRYING OUT THESE IDEAS?
• How can you try out these techniques in your life? Example: read to a child, even if
by Skype. I read and sing to my niece and nephew via Skype!
WEEK 4 ASSIGNMENTS
• Assignment: Week 4. Post Journal #1 to your Discussion Group. Post by Thursday,
9/22/16 (11:59 pm). Do 3+ formal comments by 6 pm Saturday, 9/24/16. Do informal follow-
up replies by Sunday, 9/25/16 at 11:59 pm. [over readings from session 2]. (Week 4) Ideas
for the digital artifact are here: http://bit.ly/2cy9aPx
• PK-12 classroom teaching and learning is increasingly taking place through digital means.
“Literacy” is increasingly becoming “digital literacy”. Mobile tools are being used for reading
and writing. Teachers are entering paperless classrooms. Learning about digital literacies is a
must and a necessity. Example from Arlington ISD: https://tackk.com/utaprez
• Assignment. Webinar #2 and written reflection (Week 4). Webinar #2 is Monday,
September 19, 8:00-9:00 pm. The written reflection is due Sunday of Week 4, 9/25/16
(11:59 pm). The webinar will be recorded. (Week 4)
FORMAL REPLIES-RESPONDING TO
OTHER’S INITIAL POSTS
• (Replies):– Following response posting, candidates will return to the discussion
board to read and reply to at least three peer’s responses.
• Why did you choose this posting to respond to?
• What questions or comments do you have for the author of the response posting?
• How can you extend the conversation on this posting? (Share specific resources,
• Your initial post should be formal and detailed!
INCLUDE A MULTI-MEDIA ARTIFACT, FOUND OR CREATED.
• Dr. S’s example: http://popplet.com/app/#/601777
REMINDER ABOUT DIGITAL
• More Ideas for Creating a Digital Artifact as Part of Your Discussion Board Post--
• Organized by Level of Difficulty/Challenge
MAKE TIME AND SPACE TO FOSTER YOUR OWN
READERLY AND WRITERLY LIFE…HERE IS MINE…
Create spaces to read
and write I read across a wide
variety of genres-both
print and digital texts.
A mix of low-
tech and hi-
• Initial thoughts on Guided Reading (Week 5)
• Success tip: Demonstration of Speech to Text tool
Reminders about Rethinking Dyslexia movie
• Technology Carnival
• Keep going!
• Reward yourself
• Finish assignments early.
• Resources on Blackboard!
• Contact Dr. S if needed!
• Work ahead.
• No procrastinating!
CLOSURE: SELECT ONE TO WRITE
ABOUT IN THE CHAT WINDOW
• Type 1-3 words or phrases that stood out to you about writing ideas from the
• Type 1-3 words or phrases about the webinar experience itself