OPTIONAL ORIENTATION WEBINAR
LIST 4373 SPRING 2016
LITERACY LEARNING FOR EC-6 STUDENTS:
READING AND WRITING
Wednesday, January 20, 2016
7:00-7:45 pm, CST
*Learning in real-time!
Recordings will be available of all webinars.
[Please login 5-10 minutes early, if possible.]
1.All: *Type a greeting in the chat window to your classmates!
All private chat is visible to the professor!
Please leave audio/talk button off unless speaking. Thanks!
Practice entering the session prior to
the webinar; contact tech support if
• “OPTIONAL Orientation Webinar”, Wednesday, January 20, 2016 7:00-
7:45 pm, CST. The webinar will be recorded and the link to the recording
will be posted on Blackboard and sent via UTA Email.
• Click here to join the orientation session at the scheduled time: Link to
join all webinars, including the orientation webinar:
• [link is on Blackboard]
• Watch this 7-minute video prior to joining the session:
• Technical Note: You can join through a desktop or laptop computer and
clicking on “Enter the Webinars Here” or by clicking the link above. (See
tech tips by clicking on “Directions for Accessing the Webinars”).
• MOBILE APP: You can also join by downloading the free mobile app
“Blackboard Collaborate” and entering the URL.
• You can practice entering the webinar before it actually begins. All webinars
will be recorded. For computers, you must have Java installed to access the
Tech Support for Webinars
• Tech support (24/7) for the
• If you are having trouble logging in
to the sessions
• 1 (877) 382-2293
• (Blackboard Collaborate)
1) Overview of the syllabus,
textbooks, and Blackboard
2) General advice for doing well as
an online learner and on
3) A word of encouragement
Codes for the small group will be
sent by this weekend! Thanks for
Children’s book (choose
Brown Girl Dreaming (2014)
by Jacqueline Woodson
[This book is recently
published and is available in
print and on Kindle].
Post general introduction of yourself to the discussion board on blackboard and five or more comments
to classmates. (Week 1)
Course Plan (Week 1)
Three Major Exams (25 points per exam x 3 exams= 50 points total in the course for exams) (Weeks 5,
Short Quizzes (2)
•“Big Five” quiz (Week 2) 15 points
• Guided reading quiz (Week 6) 15 points
Phonics Quiz (Week 7)
Comprehension questions activity (Week 7)
Vocabulary development activity (Week 8)
Initial thoughts on guided reading lesson plan (Week 5)
Guided Reading Lesson Plan
•Initial Plan Outline of Lesson Plan (15 points) (Week 10)
•Peer review of lesson plan on discussion board (post and five comments) (10 points) (Week 11)
•Final Lesson Plan (25 points) (Week 15)
Online book club in small groups on Blackboard Instant Messenger (Brown Girl Dreaming or Ida B)
Discussion Boards: Reading Response and Replies (5 sets @ 20 points each) in small groups on
(Weeks 4, 6, 8,12, 14)
Webinars (3 webinars) and written reflections
Weeks 4, 8, & 12 (10 points per written reflection= 30 points)
Synchronous learning and literacy assignment (week 15)
Firm due dates
Enter due dates into a
calendar and/or mobile
• I will use desktop sharing to go over
the course syllabus and what is due
for Weeks 1 and 2.
Guided Tour (desktop sharing)
of Blackboard Site
• Check UTA email and Blackboard
• Be sure your assignment uploaded
correctly and it is the correct
assignment. We grade what is
• Create a study time and excellent
Formal replies-responding to
other’s initial posts
• (Replies):– Following response posting,
candidates will return to the discussion
board to read and reply to at least three
• Why did you choose this posting to
• What questions or comments do you have
for the author of the response posting?
• How can you extend the conversation on
this posting? (Share specific resources,