7. “Twenty pairs of gladiators provided by Quintus Monnius Rufus
are to ﬁght at Nola May First, Second, and Third, and there will
be a hunt.”
8. “To rent from the ﬁrst day of next July, shops with the ﬂoors over them, ﬁne upper
chambers, and a house, in the arnius Pollio block, owned by Gnaeus Alleius Nigidius
Maius. Prospective lessees may apply to Primus, his slave.”
9. “Once you have tried Gabinius’s hotel you’ll stay there.”
“Would that you pay for all your tricks, innkeeper.You sell us water and keep the
good wine for yourself.”
10. “At Nuceria, I won 8,552 denarii by gaming---fair play!”
“On April 19, I made bread.”
“On April 20, I gave a cloak to be washed. On May 7, a headband,
On May 8, two tunics.”
“The man I am having dinner with is a barbarian.”
“Atimetus got me pregnant.”
11. “Virgula to her friend Tertius: you are disgusting!”
“Lucius Istacidius, I regard as a stranger anyone who doesn’t invite me to dinner.”
“Samius to Cornelius: go hang yourself!”
12. (near where a desk would be placed near a window)
“I would like to be a gemstone [on a signet ring] for not more than an hour, so
that I could give kisses to you as you sign your letters.”
13. “Onesimus greets Secundus, his brother.
--Secundus sends very many and perpetual greetings to Onesimus
--Lots of greetings to Secundus, lovingly.”
“Secundus himself sends greetings to his Prima wherever she is.
I beg you, lady, to love me.
--Prima sends very many greetings to Secundus.”
“Successes, a weaver, loves the innkeeper’s slave girl named Iris. She, however does
not love him. Still, he begs her to have pity on him. His rival wrote this. Bye, loser!
--Envious one, why do you get in the way? Submit to a handsomer man who is
being treated very wrongly and is darn good-looking.
--I have spoken. I have written all there is to say. you love Iris, but she does not love
you. To Successus, see above. Severus.”
14. “Oh wall, I am amazed you haven’t fallen down, since you bear the tedious
scribblings of so many writers.”
15. “I sing of launderers and their owl, not arms and the man.”