Search Engine Marketing (Oldschool) - an introduction.
SEARCH ENGINE MARKETING An introduction
WHAT TO EXPECT?1. Importance of Search Engines2. SEM – SEA vs SEO3. How do Search Engines work?4. How do people search?5. SEO: obtain high rankings in SERPs6. SEO Web Copy
WAIT A MINUTE.How do I know you‟re not just bullshitting around?
Hi, my name is Tim Vermeire. @vermeiretim digitally.Born „n raised in the Far-West of Belgium.Studied Social Sciences and E-business @ UGENT.Workshops in Strategy & Entrepreneurship @ LondonBusiness School.Started professional experience within a SEM agencyand applied it in later positions to market products andservices successfully.Over the past 5 years I helped companies obtainsustainable growth through intelligent SEM activities.Guess that makes me more a pull-marketer than amarketer desperately screaming for attention.
1. IMPORTANCE OF SEARCH ENGINES• Regardless of website goal, you need visitors. • Majority of people use SE to get info • Impossible to realize how they ever did it before... Can you imagine?• Visitor attracted based on interest - PULL • Keyword drives traffic • Customer is by definition “interested” • Conversion potential very high! • “8 seconds”-philosophy: on site conversion • No interruption-marketing
1. IMPORTANCE OF SEARCH ENGINES Advert blindness on search results SEO Vs SEA
1. IMPORTANCE OF SEARCH ENGINES Banner blindness – on site
1. IMPORTANCE OF SEARCH ENGINES Focus on Google • Most widely used • If high ranking in Google, mostly in others as well.
2. SEM – SEA VS SEO• SEM = define the most relevant keywords for a website to drive high-quality traffic from search engines. • 50% of the job. • SEO firms tend to forget conversion! • Some SEO firms just do tricky things. • Stay Clean Black Listing by Google for bad techniques like listing al keywords on your website in the same colour as your background – keyword stuffing.• Overview SEM, SEO, SEA
2. SEM – SEA VS SEO• Cfr: Advert & Banner Blindness Search SEA SEO
2. SEM – SEA VS SEO• SEM = result-driven• SEM = branding • People believe first organic results are most reliable • Cfr: Banner Blindness – SEA Blindness• SEM = PR • Journalist are lasy • Journalist trust Google Organic SERPs
3. HOW SEARCH ENGINES WORK.• This is not static! • Algorithm update • Main principles remain • “Influence” gains importance – growth of social media • Explicit example: Google‟s +1 button • Who searches and recommends what becomes important• Search sites – Directories – Comparison sites - Search Engines• Principles: Scanning > Indexing > Ranking
3. HOW SEARCH ENGINES WORK.• Scanning • Crawlers & Spiders (BOTS, Software) • From link to link through your website code • Important to use copy in most optimal sense • Template for keyword research & web copy • For more details on the template, contact me.• Remark: directories – curation by people (!) • Equally important to get listed • Cfr: linkbuilding
3. HOW SEARCH ENGINES WORK.• Specific search systems • Metasearch > aggregated • News search • Image search • Google • But also: Flickr, etc. • Video search • YouTube (by Google) • But also: Vimeo, etc.• Local search
3. HOW SEARCH ENGINES WORK.Relevance is key!1. Internal Relevance • # times keyword is indexed • Place of keywords (title, header, ...)2. External Relevance • Authority of page (Pagerank , social influence, ...) • Incoming links (link txt - authority) • CTR
4. HOW PEOPLE SEARCH.• First page, first results • Psychological split „organic‟ (seo) & „paid‟ (sea)• Do not browse beyond page 3 • Max 30 results scanned• 4 Groups of “Searchers”
4. HOW PEOPLE SEARCH.1. Scan & Select • Stays on page 1; scans first 3 results; fast clicker • young male2. Two step scanner • First results in detail; scroll down • Older generation (avg. 47 y.o.)3. Deliberate researcher • Reads titles & descriptions • Heterogenous group (all ages, all sexes)4. 1-2-3 searchers • Very detailed; reads everything • Low internet-savy people
4. HOW PEOPLE SEARCH.• Search process is not linear and simple.• Complex and Dynamic • Refine cycles• You have to know what people search for!• Keyword research is key • Refine cycles = The long tail = keyword combo • High-interest visitors
5. SEO: OBTAIN HIGH RANKING IN SERPS.1. SEO Technology aspect > Clean Code & Design • Internal factors • External factors • Separate slideshow ;-)2. SEO Methodology • Audit & Selection of Keywords • Set-up of renewed SEO-optimized pages • Support and maintenance • Dynamic • SEO is not a one-shot exercise.
6. SEO WEB COPY – KEYWORD RESEARCH1. Check competitive websites for keyword • How? Separate slideshow.2. Check your own website and add to list3. Have a brainstorm session with others • Check for synonyms, combinations, etc.4. Use an online keyword tool to check popularity • Rank keyword popularity in Excel5. Check # results for that keyword on Google • Add this # in extra column in your Excel6. Select the keywords and combo‟s • Easier to score and high-interest visitor (long tail)
6. SEO WEB COPY - COPYWRITINGMeta tags:• Meta title:• Meta description:• Meta keywords:Body text:• Include keywords on correct positions, for max impact.• More details on templates for keyword research and web copy writing, contact me.
7. SEM CONSULTANCY? SEM TRAINING? Contact @vermeiretim