Growing your business by hiring an offshore staff member
Have you ever considered expanding your Joomla Business, but don't know where to start? Are you worried that employees are too expensive? Maybe you're thinking you don't have time to manage someone else. Well this presentation is for you.
Do you have a job or a business?
If you are the only
have a job!
Know your own limitations
No matter how good you are, there are only 24
hours in a day, and the number of customers
you can service is limited.
But hang on, I can’t employ someone
• I can’t afford it, employees are too expensive
• I don’t have time to manage someone else
• No-one else can deliver the same quality
• I don’t have enough work to keep them busy
80% done by someone else, is
better than 100% done by you
Why I didn’t outsource sooner
• Cost – didn’t think I could afford it
• Had perception that time it would take me to
brief worker would be almost as much as time
required for me to do task myself
• Thought it would take a lot of time to manage
• Worry about quality, and impact to customer
• Fear of poor communication
• Do I have enough work to keep them busy?
Why you should outsource
• Achieve more in less time
• Grow your business
• Be able to service more customers
• Work smarter, not harder
Types of outsourcing
• Project-based outsourcing
– Specific task or project
• Role-based outsourcing
So where do I start?
• What tasks can only be done by me?
• What tasks could someone else do?
• What do I like doing?
• What do I hate doing?
• What can’t I do?
• What don’t I have time to do?
There is no one single worker anywhere on the
planet who can handle everything you need
help with in your business
The quality of the work you receive is
proportional to the quality of the instructions
Document your procedures
• Create an intranet
– Standard Operating Procedures
• Google sites can be a
good Intranet for a small business
• Or Joomla works well as an Intranet
Write a job description
• What tasks do I want this person to do?
• Am I being realistic with the role?
– I need a graphic designer that can write code, do
SEO, copywriting, do all my accounting, give me
legal advice, and speak 15 languages natively.
Fulltime or part time
• Part time
• Full time
– Worker spends all their time on your business
– Available when you need them
– Regular hours, set routine
• Rent an employee
• More expensive (markup by outsourcing
• Not part of your team, paid by outsourcing
• Little opportunity to create loyalty and trust
• You are one of many clients for worker
• Might work with them again if you like them,
but no guarantee they will be available when
you need them.
• Often highly skilled, and also entrepreneurial,
so charge a premium for their service.
• Population 100 million
• Education system is in English
• Only 2-3 hour time difference to Australia
• Well educated, highly skilled candidates
• Low cost
• Not too entrepreneurial, they want to be
• Power outages can be common
• High contention ratio on Internet connections
• Low speed Internet (2MB connection is
• Cultural differences
• Communication problems
How to keep Philippino Employees
• Respect their public holidays
• Pay on time
• Pay 13th Month
• Pay for sick leave and annual leave
How to recruit
• Facebook groups
– PHP User Group Philippines
• Correspond via email
– Find out more about them
– Do they have the skills I’m looking for
– Are they a good fit for the business
– Do they have good communication skills?
– Do they respond quickly?
• Paid trial (2 hour skills test)
• Interview (Skype or Google hangouts)
Something to be aware of
• Filipinos are loyal, once they secure a job they
will stop corresponding with other potential
– Don’t be offended if you suddenly get no
response, this is normal. Just eliminate that
candidate and move on.
Joomla in the Philippines
• Local Joomla community is not very big
Managing remote staff
– Daily report
• Task performed today
• Questions for me
• Spend the time and train your employees
– Common concern: what if I train them and they
– But what if you don’t train them and they stay.
• Build rapport, and get to know your
• Don’t force them to use screen
capture software or other
– If you don’t trust them, how can they
give you 100% effort?
Build a team
• Grow your business so it can run without you.