Creating your own Joomla
Joomla User Group Sydney April 2019
Presented by Tim Plummer
Problem with off the shelf templates
• many template clubs try to make their templates as flexible as possible, and
as a result include a lot of stuff you are never going to use.
make it easier on developer but include a lot of stuff you will never use.
• Time spent turning things off / disabling
• Often need to load sample data to get template looking like demo, then you
send a lot of time turning things off / disabling the stuff your site doesn’t
• Design is not unique, other sites may look very similar
Why create your own template?
• Unique fully custom design
• Light weight
• Complete control over everything
Disadvantages of custom template
• Not great for people with no design skills
• Some coding required
• templateDetails.xml – defines all the files used by this template, sets parameter etc.
• index.php – main file for your template
Other files you should have
• At least one CSS file – make your template look pretty & make it mobile responsive
• favicon.ico – image at top of browser window
• template_preview.png – back end preview image of template
• template_thumbnail.png – back end thumbnail of template
• offline.php – page that shows when site is set to offline
• error.php – error page
• component.php – cut down template that loads when you use &tmpl=component in url