4.5 Time for Bold Action:
Scaling up Improvements Today,
Preventing Slums Tomorrow.
State of the World’s Cities Report 2006/7
By Yu Tieng Wei (155498)
What kind of Bold Actions?
• “cities without slums”
• Long term planning – driven by patient,
consistent policies and leadership.
• Target 11 & Millennium Development Goals .
• Transparency and accountability – poverty
reduction – increased budgetary commitments.
• “Sustainable cities” – basic infrastructure, service,
shelter provision – available & affordable.
• Indonesia’s Kampong Improvement Programme
Benchmark targets against the Goals
Established consultations, discussions, explanation, sharing
of experiences and best practices
Ensure Targets are bold enough to deal with shortfalls
How to achieve the Target & Goals?
• Global Level – National Urban Development Policy
• National Level :
– Municipal authorities / government
– City and community (stakeholders)
• Invest / Improve / Regularizing one sector – upgrade
slums’ living quality & conditions – ensure prevention.
• Resources need to be enhanced, prioritized,
• Improve + harnessed political will, accountability and
institutional capacity (financial instruments + capital
• Slum Upgrading Facility (SUF)
– attract multiple forms of financing
– Risk reduction and sharing
– Mobilize domestic capital