Optimizing WAN to Deliver SharePoint Online Globally
OPTIMIZING WAN TO DELIVER
SAAS SHAREPOINT GLOBALLY
ENTERPRISE INFRASTRUCTURE SOLUTIONS MANAGER
ABOUT THE COMPANY
- Multinational consumer goods company.
- Products include foods, beverages, ice cream and personal care
- Global Forbes top 150 and one of the world's largest consumer
- One of the oldest multinational companies, its products are
available in around 190 countries.
Migration towards Hybrid WAN
- Migrating from single or dual MPLS with ISP links for direct
local internet breakout
- Datacenter consolidation from local country to 2 main DCs
- WAN acceleration devices to address DC migration
- Application migration to cloud (0365, SharePoint, Exchange,
- 3rd party managed
Where do users work:
- Agile working – users can be located within HQ, office, customer
site, or home based
- Mobility devices, Laptops, mobile, BYOD
- Wireless office design support next gen users
- Manufacturing/Research IoT/M2M enabled
USE CASE: SHAREPOINT SAAS MIGRATION
- Moving to SharePoint Online (O365) company updates and document sharing.
- Expectation that performance to load the home page would be ~5 seconds globally.
- WAN acceleration was put in place to address when internally implemented with private DC
- Once the rollout started, performance of the application was considered problematic (AGAIN!).
- Of course this was a NETWORK ISSUE, nothing to do with the application or location.
- No longer had acceleration device at SP end
- Additional WAN hops
- Limited testing – only from PSL
- Bloated homepage
- Dublin only location
- Lack of application ownership and knowledge end to end
Steps to resolve:
- ThousandEyes to the rescue
- Enterprise Pro Agents installed @ 4 locations
- Clearly presented page load timings for each step, main page access, Auth, and page loading from a location viewpoint
- Identified issues with the page design, numerous JS loading, in place RUM lacked accurate details
TRANSACTION TIMES ACCESSING SHAREPOINT ONLINE APP
TRANSACTION TEST TIMING DETAILS FOR INDIAN LOCATION
Long-term trend of Transaction time
(Home Page only vs With ADFS interaction)
With ADFS interaction by locationSharePoint home page only by location
Post SharePoint issue identiﬁcation:
- Web transaction tests to go through ADFS and SharePoint
- Page was redesigned/updated
- Future exploring ExpressRoute and/or Geo-local
More issues being resolved:
- Leveraged ThousandEyes for cloud-based services & applications.
- Enterprise Agents additionally deployed agents across the world (25+)
- IaaS and SaaS-based applications for Azure & AWS
- Ariba OneView
- Enterprise Agent sit on an, Intel NUC (mini PC) deployment ease and like4like
- Large to remote oﬃces located in India, Brazil, South Africa, UK, China, Netherlands,
France, Russian Federation, Philippines, and Mexico and more.
RESULTS AND NEXT STEPS