Envisioning Better Action Planning (Taking)
The Manager Experience
Proprietary & Confidential 1
Who, what, where?
Next Generation Software
We’ve been exploring the future of the
Modern Survey platform. Interacting
with prototypes for new dashboards and
action planning concepts that will
influence the design and direction.
Designing for the Future of Employee Listening
HP, Swiss Re, Merck,
+ (multiple Aon managers)
Aon Client User Group In-Person Session
Thursday, September 14th New York, NY
Proprietary & Confidential 2
As much as we think our decisions matter. It’s
our users opinions and needs that really count.
You are not your user!
Proprietary & Confidential 3
Sketch Wireframe Prototype
Getting the design right, and the right design.
Anyone can design a pretty app, but if it doesn’t solve a real need in an enjoyable way.
Nobody’s going to use it. Involving our clients in the design process will lead to
better applications built to solve their needs, give them a sense of ownership,
and hopefully make them feel like valued partners.
The value of prototyping
Proprietary & Confidential 4
The Manager Experience with Action Planning
Usability testing lets the design and development teams identify problems before they
are coded. The earlier issues are identified and fixed, the less expensive the fixes will
be in terms of both dev hours and possible impact to the roadmap.
Proprietary & Confidential 5
What were key insights and takeaways from the meeting?
• Overall the feedback was positive. We are headed in the right direction.
• Recommending actions based on our best practices was appreciated.
• Need better and consistent language. Icons, labeling, and explanations.
• Users really seemed to like the idea of the COACH as long as it focuses on
insights into their scores and guiding them to smart actions.
• Users liked adding actions from the dashboard and the insights provided.
• Dashboard needs to be even lighter still.
• Need more handholding in selecting actions and understanding Engagement.
• Other managers recommendations on actions is appreciated.
• Users just want to know what their priorities are.
• Find the right balance of just enough info to select the right action.
• Platform must be clean, informative, intuitive and able to answer questions.
• Show the right information to the right people at the right time.
• We should test much more and more often!
Proprietary & Confidential 6
• Directly add actions from dashboard
• Engagement Front and Center
• Likes the journey of insight into
• Soft and inviting design. Generally
• Likes the info in the coach. Felt
personal, not just another KPI
• Like the section title as questions
posed. Such as “Focus my energy”
• Inclined to share because of positive
• Amazon like ratings. Visual language
• Comfortable scrolling through
• Like the coach walkthrough, Coach
wizard is recognizable as a feature.
• Feels like a next generation app
Proprietary & Confidential 7
What didn’t work?
• COACH not immediately
• A lot displayed. Overwhelming.
Going to take a lot of time. Too
• I would stop if my score improved.
Scroll only if I did poorly
• Icons and text language not
• Would need to stop, download and
talk to team before proceeding
• Actions: Not ready to start
• Empty action space was confusing /
• Afraid of “commitment” to actions
• Felt constrained by picking just 3
• Actions: Still feels complicated
• To many clicks
Proprietary & Confidential 8
• Can I get more info on actions?
• How do I tie an action to a driver?
• Where is the priority coming from?
• Why Did my Scores Go Up?
• Coach: a lot of translation efforts
• How do I find last year’s focus area
• Engagement levels? Where are my
low hanging fruit (passives)
• What does committed mean?
• If I assign an action, what if person
doesn’t qualify to access the site?
• Where can I add my own action?
• What does recommended mean?
• Actual Actions – how to validate?
• How to help manager celebrate the
• Not sure if engagement score is
good, bad or otherwise
• Is this my team’s or my results?
Proprietary & Confidential 9
• Link to external or Aon thought
• “Share” should crowd source value
not create anxiety & exposure
• Coach should pop up on log in
• Filters: can this float with you down
the page as you scroll?
• Combine insights with actions on
the same screen for reference
• Weight one action over another. “If
you work on x, the results will be 10
fold compared to other actions”
• Go lighter on the dashboard.
• Categories of actions for different
• Engagement as part of performance
management goals. May have 2
systems, admins, logins, etc…
• Balance of just enough
• Language more observational vs
Judemental. “Good job”, vs “this is
why score went up”
• System should tell me when to get
out and talk to my team.
• Process more open to team feedback