ARE YOU REALLY USING KANBAN?
OR JUST MAKING A LIST OF ISSUES?
• Same team
• Same number of people
• Same tools
• Different process and thinking
• Doubled the ticket output
• Tech Stacks
• CMS Platforms
• Cloud Platforms
• Oh, and also Tomcat, WebSphere, Umbraco, Wordpress, Joomla, Oracle Web Center, DotNetNuke,
OpenText, episerver, Magnolia, and the list goes on and on.
Why Did We Have a Problem?
• I have no idea what I’m doing
The Mess: Before
• “What are you working on?”
• “Are you busy right now?”
• “Do you have a minute?”
The Mess: In Reality
• Now what?
The Mess: During
• A management philosophy and practice
• Studied how customers shopped in grocery
• How stockers replenished shelves
Toyota Production Systems
• Eliminate waste
• Improve Flow
• Promoted manufacturing efficiency
• Avoiding overload
• Manufacturing method
• Aligning inventory with production
Just in Time
• Improvement Kata
• Modern software delivery uses previously
learned manufacturing tactics
A 30 Second History
• Visualize the Work
• Limiting Work In Progress
• Focus on Flow
• Continuous Improvement
“Part of the purpose of WIP limits is to reveal opportunities for improvement.
Imposing WIP limits will focus attention on work which is blocked or hard to
complete, since our inability to complete it prevents us picking up new work. At
this point it’s tempting to relax WIP limits to make sure ‘something is getting
“It’s essential to avoid this temptation and address the sources of the
problem instead.” – LEAN ENTERPRISE
WIP Limits Should Hurt