The third Festival of Public Relations (PRFest) took place 14-15 June, 2018 in Edinburgh. It's the only event of its kind in the world.
Practitioners travelled to Edinburgh to continue professional development, by learning, sharing, collaborating and networking.
Friday's slides include:
- Lucy-Rose Walker and Gayle Mann - entrepreneurial mindset
- Emma Leech - Harnessing People Power in PR
- (John Brown's PDF will be uploaded separately due to the files not being able to be integrated within powerpoint)
- Andrew Bruce Smith - three sprints; Google Analytics, Data Studio and Tag Manager
- Laura Sutherland (PRFest Founder) - Enterprise social networking
- Betsy Reed - Communicating sustainability
For information about PRFest visit www.prfest.co.uk
• No planned fire alarms
• First aid, please report to ECCI front desk
• Toilets out to the right of this room
• Water and juice available at the back of the room –
• All got your WIFI codes from reception?
• Please use #PRFest
• Speakers – please keep to time or I’ll be chasing you!
Lucy-Rose Walker & Gayle Mann
Mindset – The only tool
you’ll ever need to succeed
in life, the universe and
• The Worlds Largest Free
• Launched 13 Accelerator Hubs
across the UK
• Supported 3868 Start-ups
• 87% Survival Rate
• Over £651M in Turnover
• Raised £251M in investment
• 2000+ corporate staff trained
Our companies can’t keep up……
IN THE LAST 15 YEARS, 52% OF
FORTUNE 500 COMPANIES HAVE
1955 VS 2017
Avg life expectancy 75 years Avg life expectancy 15 years
As weird becomes normal and normal
becomes something for the history books we
find ourselves living in a world of ambiguity,
volatility and uncertainty
Thinking like an entrepreneur is the answer!
Andrew Bruce Smith
Google Analytics, Tag Manager and
Andrew Bruce Smith @andismit
What is the PRIMARY purpose of the site/campaign e.g. orders,
leads, brand awareness, etc?Who are we targeting and what do we
want them to do?
Primary purpose = macro conversion
Supporting purposes = micro conversions e.g. email newsletter sign
up, brand awareness, etc
The BIG Question
Search for analytics.js/gtag.js (or use Ghostery of GoogleTag
Assistant). GoogleTag Manager recommended for implementation.
Cookies are not programs:
• Small text files that store information.
• Cookies critical to GA. No cookies, no tracking.
How does GA work currently?
Create three basic initialViews:
• Raw data view
• Test view
• Master Data
Top set up tip
• Use site search reporting
• Link Search Console account
More set up tips
URL Destination Goals
• Time on Site Goals
• Pages/Visit Goals
• Event Goals (PDF download, etc)
• Goals + values = meaningful evaluation
• Unlocks metrics like value per visit
• Attribution analysis not possible without goals
Why goals are vital
Configure campaign tracking:
Common misbelief that GA automatically identifies different traffic sources like
email, paid search, banner ads, etc.
YOU (or your client) must configure GA to identify these traffic sources properly.
What’s the purpose?
What problem are you trying to solve?
Develop goals e.g. learning tool, ideas hub,
Internal, external or mixed use?
Giving employees a voice?
Developing a specific community of volunteers?
We work in PR – apply the same theory
It comes back to knowing your audience and
knowing your goals…
What do people care about?
What do they need?
1. Define the problem you’re solving
2. Define what you want to achieve
6. Guidance - tools
7. Phased launch
8. Leadership to demonstrate commitment to making it work
Example from a membership
Cut down on emails
All stored on one platform
Better discussion and participation
Better connecting staff and volunteers
Opportunity to ‘recognise’ – one of the top motivations at work
Owner and Founder
Big Sky Communications
SKILLS FOR A BRAVE NEW WORLD:
& ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES EFFECTIVELY
Big Sky Strategy
Lend us your thoughts…
On your laptop or mobile go to
One-third of consumers now choose
Brands they believe are doing
social or environmental good.
There is a €996 billion opportunity
for brands who make their
sustainability credentials clear.
2017 Unilever global survey
2017 saw a precipitous drop
in public trust around the
institutions of government,
business, media and NGOs.
Silence is now deeply dangerous.
Edelman 2017 Trust Barometer
WHAT IS SUSTAINABILITY?
Sustainable development is the kind of
development that meets the needs of the present
without compromising the ability of
future generations to meet their own needs.
The Brundtland Report (1987)
WHAT IS GREENWASH? PURPOSEWASH?
Making people believe a company,
organisation or individual is doing something
for the environment or society
when they’re not.
To be effective in communicating social & environmental issues, remember:
• It’s now a core skill, and we all have a strategic role to play
• It isn’t rocket science, but a conscious approach will help you to do it well - and
doing it badly carries risk
• Apply skills you already have:
• Ask the right questions
• Apply good communications principles
• Understand the basics and keep learning