In May 2016, Harare, Zimbabwe was selected to host a WordCamp Incubator. This led to the birth of a local WordPress community. Thabo will talk about what it took to get the WordPress community in Harare started, and what you can do to grow your community.
Growing a Local WordPress Community
The best thing about WordPress is the
community and support
• WordPress is an open source project as well as the
people who use it in any way.
• The greatest thing about WordPress is the community.
That’s what allows this free software to continue being
free, and to continue to improve.
WordPress is a Community
What you need to do to get your
WordCamp added to the schedule
• Put together an organizing team.
• Find a venue and a date.
• Create a preliminary budget.
• Send your budget to WordCamp Central for review.
• Set up your wordcamp.org website.
• Make sure you spread the word over social media that
you are trying to start a meetup group.
• Talk about what you want to do. Speakers and
presentations are the most common, but that’s not the
only way to do it
• You will need others around you to help
• Anytime you can, ask for volunteers to present
• Pick a consistent day of the month that’s easy to
If you want to get the most out of WordPress,
get involved, learn from others and perhaps
lend a hand as well!