Damaging Translation Mistakes
• Translation mistakes can be damaging to a law
firm or their clients.
• These mistakes are the worst-case scenario:
– Missing a final deadline.
– Inconsistency in terminology.
– Mistranslations of phrases or words.
Avoid Translation Errors
• Obviously everyone
wants to avoid making
those kinds of errors in
the first place.
• Hiring a legal
translation team that
has the necessary
expertise will help
Key Legal Translator Attributes
Legal translators that have these attributes are
• Legal Knowledge
• Legal Jargon
• Technologically Conversant
• Legal systems can be
• Understanding legal
concepts is necessary
to translate properly.
• Different branches of
• Every legal system has its own legal
• Latin terms in American legal system have
different meanings than the original Latin
• Keep up with new legal terms.
• Need an intimate knowledge of both
• Meaning needs to be as close to the original
• Native speakers of the language that is being
translated into are most successful.
• Organized approach
will ensure the
project is delegated
• Editing and quality
control will rely on
project tracking can
help with translation.
• Knowledge of
technology in general
can help with certified
patents or IP).
Finding a Qualified Legal
• Certified document translation can be
performed by a full-time translator or a
• You can hire a certified translation service
company that will meet your legal translation