To receive a high quality Japanese patent
translation, it’s necessary to know some
basics about Japanese patents and the
Japanese Patent Office.
• The Japanese language has a
tendency to have problems with
• Katakana, Japanese characters,
has a completely different
language structure than English,
causing translation difficulties.
• Without an intensive quality
control process, it’s very easy to
let translation errors slip
• Japan provides access
to a large amount of
• The EPO provides free
machine translation for
• Be sure to research
prior art before filing.
• Businesses that are based
outside of Japan do need a
• This person can be a patent
attorney, but doesn’t have
• The administrator is
essentially the foreign agent
and makes sure the filing
process goes smoothly.
• Japan has a higher grant rate than the
EPO, United States PO and Korean PO.
• Thorough prior art research and
translation will strengthen the claim of
• A Request for Examination must be filed
within 3 years of submitting the patent
• The JPO will not review the patent until
the request is submitted.