• 1G stands for First Generation of Cellular
• Developed in 1980s & launched in 1990s
• It totally works on Analog system.
• AMPS was the system defined for 1G.
• AMPS stands for Advance Mobile Ohone System.
• It was first launched by US.
• Allows user to make voice call only
• 2G stands for Second Generation of Cellular
Communication, it overcomes the limitation of 1G.
• As it totally works on Digital system due to which there
was less interference and noise as compared to 1G.
• Roaming was Possible.
• It works on both TDMA and FDMA techniques.
• 2G system is named as GSM i.e. Global system for
• Services such as Calling and SMS are possible will less
• 2.5G i.e. G or GPRS which stands for General
Packet Radio Services.
• This is the technology from where data or
Internet pack was started.
• 2.5G maximum speed is 141Kbps and it is
• EDGE or E, it stands for Enhance data rate for
• As cleared from the name it is the
enhancement in speed of GPRS, which
increases the speed of GPRS from 141Kbps to
• Its speed is more because of the change in
• Third Generation of Cellular communication was 1st
launched by NTT Docomo, Japan in 1999 due to which it
was also named as Release 99 or R’99.
• It provides the speed maximum of 2 Mbps.
• Multiple applications can be run at the same time like
Video call, internet surfing, games, online banking etc…
• Provides good voice quality.
• Comes with a feature of providing video quality with less
• Roaming is possible.
• It is also the digital technology that works on the technique
named WCDMA (Wideband Code Division Multiple Access
• HSPA stands for High Speed Packet Access also
called as 3.5G.
• Comes to provide enhancement in speed i.e.
maximum up to 14.4Mbps for Downlink and
5.76 for Uplink.
• 4G stands for 4th Generation of Cellular
• It was developed in 2010.
• Its system is named as LTE i.e. Long Term
• Faster and more Reliable
• Capable of providing speed between 100 Mbps -
• It is purely packet Switched network.
• Low Cost, High QoS and High Security
• Complete wireless communication with almost no
• It is highly supportable to wwww (wireless world wide
• More Speed (in Gbps), More Capacity
• More clear Audio/Video.
• Less Delay
• It will be available in the market by 2020 at affordable
cost with more reliability than previous phones.
• More Secure and Safe for Public.