We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors;
we borrow it from our children
What it means?
• Advocacy for or work
toward protecting the
natural environment from
destruction or pollution.
• It is the theory that
environment rather than
heredity is the main
influence on intellectual
growth as well as cultural
Environmental Laws and Regulations
Have Been under Attack
• Since 2000, environmental laws weakened by executive
orders and legislative actions
• Who is opposing the environmental laws?
– Some corporate leaders and other powerful people
– Some citizens
– Some state and local officials
• Why are the opposition?
• Prevent further weakening by
– Science-based education
– Education about the current state of the environmental laws
– Organized bottom-up political pressure from concerned citizens
Citizen Environmental Groups Play
• Nonprofit nongovernmental organizations (NGOs)
working at all levels
• Grassroots groups to organizations
• Examples of NGOs and their global policy networks
Initiatives developed by Ashoka Fellows : More than 350 Ashoka Fellows working around
the world on environmental issues.
Utilizing the Legal Framework
Mexican Fellow Gustavo Alanis has developed a strategy to provide the Mexican citizen
sector, government, and industry with the tools and training to get involved, clean up, and
protect the natural resources of Mexico. His strategy has already brought to the Mexican
environmental movement a new level of sophistication and impact.
Changing Economic Incentives
Victor Ananias from Turkey is promoting the production of organic foods and local Turkish
products by creating a consumer base and increasing awareness of the links between
consumption and the environment. The first person in Turkey to start a business using only
Engaging Values and Culture
In Peru, Joaquín Leguia is protecting the fragile ecology of the Peruvian Amazon Basin
rainforest by involving children in the management of community forests. In a region
where environmental mismanagement has resulted in wasteful agricultural practices,
deforestation and biodiversity loss, Joaquín leads communities in the creation of Children's
Source: Ashoka website
Intervention by NGOs: international
Case Study: NGO’s Campaign
• Greenpeace has been interacting with the IT sector and has got it to actively consider
ways of reducing its role in runaway climate change.
• Indian IT sector is responsible for 10 % of global IT emission and with an annual growth
rate of 12-16 % this will further grow to make India second largest carbon emitter after
China by 2020.
• A rapid increase in demand for online services is increasing the number of data-centers
and network towers.
• While companies have been focusing on efficiency to cut enterprise costs, their growth
offsets efficiency gains made in new IT infrastructure. Further, these also widen the
existing gap in demand – supply of energy.
• Greenpeace plans to identify the critical consequence of IT’s growing footprint in
general to expose the link between growing ICT infrastructure and increased expansion
of fossil based power generation.
• What’s your views on this?
Community service: Clean & Green
Resolution for 2014 Green peace
1. Leave your car at home. Instead, ride a bike, walk or take public transport to work.
2. Recycle all your paper, glass, aluminium, and plastic.
3. Buy fruits and vegetables which are more local, organic and in-season.
4. Use appliances which are more energy efficient.
5. Take shorter, less frequent showers, because this not only saves water, but the
energy necessary to heat it.
6. Unplug your electronics when not in use. Because even when turned off, items like
your television, computer, and mobile phone charger still absorb power.
7. Try and avoid short airplane trips. Instead, take the bus or train to your
8. Instead of relying on your supermarket for all your veggies and fruits, plant a small
garden and grow your own vegetables and fruits.
9. Don't forget to have your vehicle serviced regularly to keep the emission control
systems operating at peak efficiency. Also, check your car's air filter monthly, and
keep the tires adequately inflated to maximize gas mileage.
10. Run the laundry machine only when full.