TechSoup Global CEO Rebecca Masisak "Big Ideas" session at NTC14
Leading Change in
‘Big Ideas Session’ #14NTCChange
Nonprofit Technology Conference 2014
March 13, 2014
@rmasrmas @techsoup #techsouplounge
Current change initiative: TechSoup Global
Transform a relatively successful 27-year-old
nonprofit social enterprise into a trusted global
social sector resource platform!
• A place for nonprofits to
find the most affordable
• A place to help
administer their product
Forces of little importance
Low HighLevel of Uncertainty
Major Drivers Shaping the Future of TechSoup
working in sector
Less demand for
PCs & desktop
& New Biz
Analysis, Synthesis and Questions
• A collection of community assets:
– Reach to 488K individuals and 581K organizations
– 2700 offers from 100+ technology
– 28 languages in 80 countries
– In excess of $4B worth of technology
• A cooperative approach
– Network and partnerships
What pains and gains can we better support for
nonprofits? For donors? For other stakeholders?
• Take the capabilities we have –
– Relationships, network, data, reach, positioning,
validation process, knowledge, reputation --
• Use to offer new services/add value in new
• Monetize and diversify income to increase
sustainability and value.
• By 2015, TechSoup Global will be able to reliably deliver through
cooperation a suite of multi-stakeholder services that together create
a platform and eco-system for a diverse set of resources and offers at
scale which significantly strengthen the nonprofit and philanthropic
sectors, individual nonprofits and/or civil society across 100 countries.
– Multiple stakeholders cooperating to strengthen the sector’s work.
– ‘NGO’ focused; highest value adding platform from an ‘NGO’
perspective for philanthropic resources related to capacity building
through ICT, human capital and third sector data.
– Innovative, on-demand, customizable capacity-building resources
– Leveraging the power of tech for good
– At scale, supported by vibrant eco-system
What will be different from today as an
• Grow offers
• Grow connections
• Diversify offers
• Diversify income
• Lower costs
• Create more value
• Open up our capabilities for many
others to create value
TSG as a better community platform in 18 months
• Ability to add 100’s to 1000’s of offers. Rollout new products and programs in
3-4 weeks. Reduced cycle time of 75%.
• Validation services in 100 countries. Reduced costs to validate by 70%.
• Grew sustainability through adding new services and lowering costs for a net
improvement of $3M per year.
• Diversified offers. Partner to create “Human Capital”/services offers that
benefit more than 50% of our nonprofit customers.
• Partner to create 1-2 applications that run on our platform that create value
for the sector that are NOT TechSoup offers.
• Increased connections between stakeholders that create value in excess of
$1M for a stronger ecosystem.
• A scaled platform capable of doubling the economic value of the resources
created and shared within 3 years from 18 month milestone.
• Change our processes and technology.
• Diversify our donors.
• Engage our customers in discovery of value and service development.
• Develop abilities to experiment and learn.
Vivid Description of the Future:
TSG as MSP
Data as an
Next 18 months
Everybody has a role in effective
use of technology
Don’t sell solution. Understand
the problem and alternatives.
No matter how ‘good’ you are, you
might fail at change. So learn
Think Lean/Lean Startup.
Minimum Viable Product. Test &
References & Resources
• Patrick Lencioni: The Advantage. Silos, Politics and Turf Wars.
• The Lean Startup – Eric Ries. www.theleanstartup.com
• Lean Startup and Launchpad Central – Steve Blank.
• Business Model Canvas – Alex Osterwalder.
• Continue the discussion and check these tools and so much
more out at the TechSoup Lounge – Johnson Room,
@rmasrmas @techsoup #techsouplounge
Key Partnerships Key Activities Value Propositions
Cost Structure Revenue Streams
options & trad.
How to access
where do I
How to support
All Nonprofits are Tech Nonprofits.
Transform. Inspire. Don’t Give Up!