The Crowdsourcing Story                      Angela Oduor                     @angienicoleod                angela@ushahid...
thedefaultdevice
If it works in  africa it will workanywhere
Disaster ResponseMarch 2011 - 4,000+ reports, 144,974 views       January 2010 - 3,584 reports, 500,000 viewsMonitor fallo...
Election MonitoringCrowdsourcing, documenting and sharing violations of   August 2010 - 1525 reports, 20,000 views        ...
Citizen Journalism  December 2010 - 319 reports, 156,859 views                May 2010 - 3397 reports, 406,715 viewsHelp b...
Civic Participation Public monitoring of problems and solutions with theparticipation of communities and companies in the ...
Ushahidi Metrics
PlatformCollect reports via SMS, social media, smart phone           applications and other sources.  Moderate and visuali...
CrowdmapCrowdmap allows you to set up your own deployment of Ushahidi‘in the cloud’ without having to install it on your o...
MobileSMS, iPhone, Android, J2ME, Windows Mobile
Platformhttp://swiftly.org
Technology is only 10%       of the story– let’s discuss the other 90% that makes for asuccessful deployment
The common denominator for successful deployments that getthe crowd involved, where communities are engaged and usingthe p...
What are wetrying toachieve?
Ensuring that others don’thave to start from scratch,       like we did.
Questions?
How to UseCrowdsourcing
Sign Up!http://crowdmap.com
1.Create your account2.Create your deploymentaddress (URL)3.Enter your deployment details4.Accept Terms of Use5.Click on F...
Your deployment is now up and          running!!You are ready to manage your Ushahidi                platform. To start cu...
Log In
Site SettingsInsert your site settings   Then SAVE!
Map SettingsChoose the location your deployment will span over             Choose your base map      Configure the zoom le...
SMS SettingsSelect an SMS Provider(Clickatell, SMSSync, FrontlineSMS), if            setting up SMS for your deployment.
Email SettingsSet up to receive reports via your email address
AddonsPLUGINS            Themes
CategoriesModify the default categories by adding new ones that fit your                         deployment
Categories   Insert category information. Use the scroll down menu todecide if that category is a top level category or a ...
PagesYou can create additional pages to your deployment e.g an              About us/ Volunteer page .
Custom FormsCreating a custom form   Creating custom form fields
News FeedsChoose the RSS feeds that you want to have displayed on the             home page of your deployment.
Scheduler
Public Listing           Manage how your public listing onhttp://community.ushahidi.com/deployments will look like
Getting our Hands Dirty  Processing the incoming information
DashboardQuick summary of your deployment’s activity
Reports  To approve or delete or verify a report just click on thecorresponding word. If the word is green than it means t...
Messages
Messages: SMSReceives all incoming SMS. From here you can respond to the sender, asking for more information, delete the m...
Messages: EmailReceive all incoming E-Mails. From here you can delete the e-               mail or create a report out of ...
Messages: TwitterReceive all incoming tweets and create a report out of it
Createyou will be sent to a Create ReportBy clicking on create report                             a reportpage where you n...
Report FormCreate Report page is where you will add a title, description,                    category, location.
Report FormChoose A category. Each main category pulls down into sub- categories. Click the “+” next to the main category ...
Report FormIf the report contains location information, you will need to find that location on  the map either manually (s...
Report Form                        Date and TimeCheck the time and date, and make sure they correspond to the time and dat...
Approve & VerifyTo approve the report, go to the “Information Evaluation” box                    in the lower left corner....
Questions?
Angela_Oduor_ushahidi_techcampkyiv
Angela_Oduor_ushahidi_techcampkyiv
Angela_Oduor_ushahidi_techcampkyiv
Angela_Oduor_ushahidi_techcampkyiv
Angela_Oduor_ushahidi_techcampkyiv
Angela_Oduor_ushahidi_techcampkyiv
Angela_Oduor_ushahidi_techcampkyiv
Angela_Oduor_ushahidi_techcampkyiv
Angela_Oduor_ushahidi_techcampkyiv
Upcoming SlideShare
Loading in …5
×

Angela_Oduor_ushahidi_techcampkyiv

461 views

Published on

0 Comments
0 Likes
Statistics
Notes
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

No Downloads
Views
Total views
461
On SlideShare
0
From Embeds
0
Number of Embeds
2
Actions
Shares
0
Downloads
21
Comments
0
Likes
0
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide
  • Born out of problems of bad governance, poverty, low bandwidth, and all those bad things we like to associate with africa, Ushahidi is a swahili word that means testimony. It was born out of the post election violence that broke out in Kenya after the contested general elections held in Dec 2007. more than 500K displaced, 1200 killed. Our country was literally burning, and the govt was trying to downplay it, while the mainstream media was unable to report what was happening countrywide.
  • Response of 4 kenyan Bloggers, Ory Okolloh, Juliana Rotich, Erik Hersman and David Kobia was to create a web mashup that allowd ordinary citizens send in reports via sms, email, web form and twitter of human rights violations. Effectively giving kenyans a voice when no one else could, or would. http://legacy.ushahidi.com
  • The platform targeted the default device, the mobile phone. Making use of the tools we already have.It is the tool with the greatest outreach, esp during times of crisis, and the greatest potential.
  • Who are we? Non for profit tech company that specialises in development of open source tools for information collection, visualisation and interactive mapping. Our tools democratise info(openness), increase transparency, and lower barriers for people to share their stories.
  • - Since the platform was first built in 2008, it has been used across the globe in a variety of situations. - Part of the reason for this is the core philosophy behind the initial development: “ If it works in Africa, it can work anywhere ” Build something in first world countries technologically, it may be difficult to absorb her, but the other way round, is bound to work
  • It ’ s also played a key role in Disaster Response. Most notably to monitor the fallout of tsunami and nuclear crisis in Japan. Also during the Haiti earthquake response, the map allowed Haitians to report their location and needs.
  • The platform has been used for Election Monitoring. Maidan Monitor in Ukraine and U-cha-gu-zee in Kenya are two examples.
  • It ’ s also been used for Citizen Journalism. HarrassMap helped bring awareness to sexual harassment in Egypt. Oil Spill Crisis Map was used to document human and ecological impact of the oil spill.
  • Local examples in Romania + Ukraine
  • Since the Haiti earthquake, Ushahidi has had a number of innovations to improve the platform. Problem : Ushahidi servers are often too difficult to deploy for non-technical users Solution : Create hosted Ushahidi servers ‘ in the cloud ’ , only takes a few minutes to setup your own map. Interesting, Crowdmap now often becomes the first step, and the data later migrated to an actual deployment. This gives deployment teams time to customize the server, while still receiving incoming reports.
  • Our capacity to report eyewitness information is vastly increasing. But the ability to consume it & understand it is not. Challenge? Small trickle of information can quickly become a flood.How do you know what to listen to? Mumbai – Managing the crisis became a crisis itself. 10 0reports, 2 volunteers Information overload
  • Curate and filter content to make sense of all the noise in the flood of information through management of realtime data streams
  • Ushahidi platform is just a tool, not a solution. The technology will contribute to about 10% of the success of your initiatives. The other 90% will be largely dependent on the partnerships that will be made. Outreach, branding, translation. How to make the information actionable. Media houses, redcross, authorities as was the case in Uchaguzi, where information that was flagged as high risk was sent in to the authorities to act upon.
  • The information landscape has changed. It is no longer about a one way conversation, where information flows from the top, trickling down. Changing the way information flows in the world
  • Angela_Oduor_ushahidi_techcampkyiv

    1. 1. The Crowdsourcing Story Angela Oduor @angienicoleod angela@ushahidi.com
    2. 2. thedefaultdevice
    3. 3. If it works in africa it will workanywhere
    4. 4. Disaster ResponseMarch 2011 - 4,000+ reports, 144,974 views January 2010 - 3,584 reports, 500,000 viewsMonitor fallout of tsunami and nuclear crisis Allowed Haitians to report location and needs sinsai.info/ushahidi haiti.ushahidi.com
    5. 5. Election MonitoringCrowdsourcing, documenting and sharing violations of August 2010 - 1525 reports, 20,000 views electoral law in Ukraine Monitor Kenya referendum election http://maidanua.org/vybory2012/ uchaguzi.co.ke
    6. 6. Citizen Journalism December 2010 - 319 reports, 156,859 views May 2010 - 3397 reports, 406,715 viewsHelp bring awareness to sexual harassment in Egypt Document human and ecological impact of the oil spill harassmap.com oillspill.labucketbrigade.org
    7. 7. Civic Participation Public monitoring of problems and solutions with theparticipation of communities and companies in the city Identifying and solving public problems in Chisinau, of Rivne. Romania. http://spilno.org.ua/karta/ http://alerte.md
    8. 8. Ushahidi Metrics
    9. 9. PlatformCollect reports via SMS, social media, smart phone applications and other sources. Moderate and visualize reports on a map and timeline.
    10. 10. CrowdmapCrowdmap allows you to set up your own deployment of Ushahidi‘in the cloud’ without having to install it on your own web server. crowdmap.com
    11. 11. MobileSMS, iPhone, Android, J2ME, Windows Mobile
    12. 12. Platformhttp://swiftly.org
    13. 13. Technology is only 10% of the story– let’s discuss the other 90% that makes for asuccessful deployment
    14. 14. The common denominator for successful deployments that getthe crowd involved, where communities are engaged and usingthe platform for both sending and receiving information, is thatthey’re run or endorsed by people or organizations that peopletrust.
    15. 15. What are wetrying toachieve?
    16. 16. Ensuring that others don’thave to start from scratch, like we did.
    17. 17. Questions?
    18. 18. How to UseCrowdsourcing
    19. 19. Sign Up!http://crowdmap.com
    20. 20. 1.Create your account2.Create your deploymentaddress (URL)3.Enter your deployment details4.Accept Terms of Use5.Click on Finish & CreateDeployment
    21. 21. Your deployment is now up and running!!You are ready to manage your Ushahidi platform. To start customization, click on Admin Dashboard.
    22. 22. Log In
    23. 23. Site SettingsInsert your site settings Then SAVE!
    24. 24. Map SettingsChoose the location your deployment will span over Choose your base map Configure the zoom level of your map
    25. 25. SMS SettingsSelect an SMS Provider(Clickatell, SMSSync, FrontlineSMS), if setting up SMS for your deployment.
    26. 26. Email SettingsSet up to receive reports via your email address
    27. 27. AddonsPLUGINS Themes
    28. 28. CategoriesModify the default categories by adding new ones that fit your deployment
    29. 29. Categories Insert category information. Use the scroll down menu todecide if that category is a top level category or a sub-category.
    30. 30. PagesYou can create additional pages to your deployment e.g an About us/ Volunteer page .
    31. 31. Custom FormsCreating a custom form Creating custom form fields
    32. 32. News FeedsChoose the RSS feeds that you want to have displayed on the home page of your deployment.
    33. 33. Scheduler
    34. 34. Public Listing Manage how your public listing onhttp://community.ushahidi.com/deployments will look like
    35. 35. Getting our Hands Dirty Processing the incoming information
    36. 36. DashboardQuick summary of your deployment’s activity
    37. 37. Reports To approve or delete or verify a report just click on thecorresponding word. If the word is green than it means that that action has been already taken.
    38. 38. Messages
    39. 39. Messages: SMSReceives all incoming SMS. From here you can respond to the sender, asking for more information, delete the message or create a report out of it.
    40. 40. Messages: EmailReceive all incoming E-Mails. From here you can delete the e- mail or create a report out of it.
    41. 41. Messages: TwitterReceive all incoming tweets and create a report out of it
    42. 42. Createyou will be sent to a Create ReportBy clicking on create report a reportpage where you need to insert all the information relative to that message. This process is the same for E-Mail, Twitter Messages and Voice Mail.
    43. 43. Report FormCreate Report page is where you will add a title, description, category, location.
    44. 44. Report FormChoose A category. Each main category pulls down into sub- categories. Click the “+” next to the main category to accesssub-categories. You can choose also more than one category.
    45. 45. Report FormIf the report contains location information, you will need to find that location on the map either manually (scroll and zoom) or using the “Find Location” searchfunction. If there isn’t enough information to map the report skip the report. You cannot save a report unless it has a location.
    46. 46. Report Form Date and TimeCheck the time and date, and make sure they correspond to the time and date of the event you are reporting. If you need to, change it.
    47. 47. Approve & VerifyTo approve the report, go to the “Information Evaluation” box in the lower left corner. Where it says “Approve this Report?” choose “Yes.”Where it says “Verify this Report?” leave it as “No.” Only if youhave the assurance that the information reported is 100% true you should mark report as verified.
    48. 48. Questions?

    ×