What difference does it make in
• Reach people = more resilient community
• Educate = people affiliate and STOP
• Involve = relationship and trust building
What can SM do in planning?
• Stay connected
• Provide training
• Control future response efforts
• Involve key players in plans
What can SM do in response?
– Twitter alerts
– Facebook posts
– Voxer (data based radio)
– Google Hangouts
– Wordpress, other web
Used by you, for you…
Virtual Operations Support Teams!
Basic elements of a VOST
• Information gathering
• Crowd sourcing
• Situational awareness
• Rumor/information control
Resources for Social Media!
• http://sm4em.org – Info on using social media
in emergency management
• http://socialmediagovernance.com/ - social
• http://vosg.us – Virtual Operations Support
• #smemchat every Friday, 12:30 EST
Resources for Finding Volunteers!
• Citizen Corps
– Medical Reserve Corps
– Fire and Law
• National Volunteer Organizations in Disaster