• THE DECISION OF THE QUIZMASTER IS FINAL
AND BINDING (QUIZ MASTER - TANMAY ROY)
• NO PROMPTING FROM THE AUDIENCE
• THE RULES WILL BE MADE CLEAR BEFORE
EVERY ROUND STARTS AGAIN AND AGAIN BUT
ONCE THE MARKS ARE GIVEN THERE SHOULD
BE NO AMBIGUITY INVOLOVED
• FOR THE PARTICIPANTS: AVOID PASSING AS
MUCH AS POSSIBLE
• THERE ARE 28 QUESTIONS IN THE QUIZ ALONG
WITH 5 EXTRA QUESTIONS, JUST IN CASE OF A TIE
• QUESTIONS WILL MOSTLY COVER EVERY ASPECT
AND CATEGORY THAT EXISTS UNDER AND BEYOND
• SCORING PATTERN:
• DIRECT - +10, 0
• PASS - +10, 0
• POUNCE - +15, -10
• LAST 4 WILL BE DIFFERENTIAL MARKING ROUND
• ALL THE BEST TO EVERYONE
• 1. There were several Indians who contributed to this operation, most of
them being the Punjabi Muslims. Although not factually known, the exact
number of Indians who participated in this contribution, what is known
though is that there were four companies of the Mule service that came as
a part of Royal Indian Army service corps, which amounted to be about
2700 in number. An Indian Soldier Jemadar Maula Dad Khan showed
immense courage and coolness in protecting his men and the 2700 mules.
Since after the operation was over, the mules could not be taken back with
them, they were offered to the local people.
• A particular historian talks about the Indians contribution to the operation
as, “particularly cool under fire and well organised during retreat”.
• This operation was recently brought to limelight and the Indian
contribution was completely ignored which triggered anger and
disappointment amongst lots of historians and columnists in India.
• Lieutenant Commander Manish Tayal of the Royal Navy expressed
regretfully, “a missed opportunity to tell the story of the lascars”.
• Which operation am I talking about?
• 2. The contest was judged by a three-member screening
committee, led by famous artist Satish Gujral. The other
two members were a NITI Aayog member and a NHSRCL
• Three entries were shortlisted after an initial screening.
The top entry was selected from NID Ahmadabad, and the
second from the school of Planning and Architecture in
Delhi, and the third from the NID Bangalore.
• The participants were required to send in their applications
between April 19 and May 18. Eventually the “X” was
chosen as it represents speed. It has blue and red lines,
which according to the sources “symbolise calm and
• What is being talked about and Id “X”?
BULLET TRAIN LOGO – MUMBAI TO AHMEDABAD
• 3. It is a million dollar question that is boggling the internet
and Twitter including Google CEO Sundar Pichai. So Pichai
now wants to drop everything else and address this issue
• This debate started when Thomas Baekdal, Founder of
Baekdel Media, sought a discussion on the matter, with a
tweet followed with pics.
• What am I talking about?
• 4.EXCERPTS FROM HINDU MYTHOLOGY
• A Hunter by the name of Jara entered the forest, where ‘X’ was
resting and was about to go into Yoga Samadhi. Jara the hunter
misunderstood the moving foot of “X” as a lurking deer and shot
a lethal arrow that pierced into his feet. As soon as the hunter
reached “X”, he realised his mistake and pleaded forgiveness.
“X” consoled him and told him that his death was inevitable .
• “X” also says that in his previous life he committed a sin by
killing someone “Y” and now he had to pay the price. As it turns
out, Jara the hunter was the very same person “Y” in his
previous birth, and that way the circle of Karma was completed.
• “X” died as a result of “Z’s” curse that was given to him 36 years
• Id “X”, “Y” and “Z”
• X&Z together 5 points and Y 5 points
• On pounce give all three correctly.
• 5. Face book has paid $10,000 reward to a Finnish
boy for finding a glitch in its picture sharing app
• Jani, a 10 year old whose last name was not
revealed is the youngest ever recipient of Fb’s “Bug
Bounty”, paid to users who find bug or weaknesses
in their platforms. Facebook said the glitch was
fixed in Feb and the reward was paid in March.
• What was the glitch all about?
The loophole was found in a private application
programming interface that was not checking
whether the person deleting the comment was
the same user who posted it.
So Jani, could easily change the codes of Instagram
servers and force delete others comments and
• 6. Ashish Nehra, one of the long time servants of
Indian cricket who retired recently at the age of
38, has played under many captains.
• In International Cricket Ashish Nehra played
under 9 different captains. He played under
Mohammad Azharuddin, MS Dhoni, Rahul Dravid,
Gautam Gambhir, Sourav Ganguly, Anil Kumble,
Virat Kohli, Virender Sehwag and “X”
• Id “X”
• Hint: Think out of the box
• HE PLAYED FOR ASIA XI, AGAINST AFRICA XI
• 7. This town is mentioned in the Mahabharata as the
capital of Lord Krishna’s arch nemesis, King
Shishupala of the Chedis.
• In more recent times, this city was a strategic trade
centre and military outpost for the Mughals.
• While it was known for its vast fortresses, today it is
known by the gorgeous Sarees that bear its name.
• Hint: Rajmukar rao was seen selling those same
sarees, in the movie “Bareilly Ki Barfi”
• Id the town.
• 8. In 2013, The World Canine Organization took data
from 25 countries to determine the world’s most
popular dog breeds. Here are the list:
• ______________ (Most Popular)
• German Shepherd
• Golden Retriever
• Yorkshire Terrier
9. Anuj Dhar in his 2012 book “India’s biggest cover-up”
wrote about the detailed scam involving the _______
treasure estimated to be worth $700,000. Which treasure
and the person involved with it.
10. A giant flower carpet made of “X” and “Y” is
displayed at the Grand Palace to celebrate the
Belgium-Japanese friendship in Brussels on 12th August,
2016. Id the flowers X&Y. Pics on next slide.
• 11. It has happened 4 times in total. Here is the list:
• Rik Coppens (Belgium vs. England 1957) – Belgian striker
Rik Coppens might have been the inventor of it along
with Andre Pitiers and they eventually won 8-3.
• Johan Cryuff and Jesper Olsen (Ajax vs. Helmond sport
1982) – They were leading 1-0 when this happened and
they won the match 5-0
• Thierry Henry and Robert Pires (Arsenal vs. Man City
2005) – When it went horribly wrong
• And then for the last time in 2015, when players “X” and
“Y” successfully did it against Celta Vigo.
• What am I talking about and who are “X” and “Y”.
• 1st part – 5points; X&Y together – 5 points
• 12. Which National Park located in the central region of India is the setting
of Rudyard Kipling’s “The Jungle Book”. The park derives its name from a
river of the same name that flows through the park almost dividing the
park in eastern and western halves.
• Hint: In the 2016 adaptation of the film, there is a dialogue exchange
between Mowgli and King Louie (The Orangutan), where King Louie asks
Mowgli: “Where are you from?” to which Mowgli says, “From the south of
the Jungle”, then Louie says, “Oh!! So you are from _______ (utters the
name of the district, the south portion of the national park is in)”.
• 13. When Maryam Nawaz Sharif, the daughter of former
Pakistani Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif, was named in the
2016 Panama Papers leak the country's highest court began
an investigation into the 43-year-old. Sharif's children were
linked to offshore companies in the British Virgin Islands
which were then used to purchase expensive property in
London, and the Pakistan federal investigation agency
believed the properties were bought with laundered money.
A report stated that she had disclosed her ties to the British
Virgin Island's firm in 2006 in a statement written in ”X”
font. But Microsoft only made the font publicly available in
2007, leading to speculation that the documents could have
• Internet termed this scandal as “Fontgate”. Invented by
Lucas De Groot, he describes this font as “warm and soft
character”. It became the default font in Office for Mac
• CALIBRI, NAWAZ SHARIF AND FONTGATE: HOW A
MICROSOFT TYPESET COULD BRING DOWN THE PAKISTANI
• 14. While watching a Zakir Khan stand-up comedy
show, where he was explaining the emergence of
creativity from constraints a Marathi actor by the
name of Bharat Dabholkar, who used to be a
copywriter, struggled with both Hindi as well as
English came up.
• So what he did, was start playing in his strengths and
made a mix of English and Hindi, which gave rise to a
creative field in its own, for example – “Sun yaar,
can you please come here”.
• This form of creativity from Bharat Dabholkar gave
rise to something very popular today in India, in the
world of Business mixed with such creativity.
• What am I talking about?
• 15. Atsuko Nishida is credited behind creating the design of
“X” which was later finalized by artist Ken Sugimori.
Developer Junichi Masuda noted “X’s” name as one of the
most difficult to create due to an effort to make it appealing
to both Japanese and American audiences. “X” also happens
to be the mascot of the franchise it belongs to, and due to its
massive popularity, it has become an icon of Japanese pop
• “X” was chosen as the primary mascot in an attempt to appeal
female viewers and their mothers, and also the colour was
chosen as such, so that it was easily visible to children from a
distance and also the only competition to “X” with its colour
was “Winnie the Pooh”. Though the creator acknowledged
the character was relatively popular with boys and girls, he
said the idea to make it the mascot was not his and of the
• Id this massively popular character “X”
• 16. An actor talking about his shooting experience in an upcoming film:
• “Kyunki Humare film me Jahaaz hain bade bade, purane zamaana ke; toh
usko samundaar me shoot karna bahut mushkil ho sakta hain, isiliye “X” ek
aisa desh hain (an island in Mediterranean sea) jaha par bahut saari
shooting hoti hain Pani ki. Waha pe ek paani ki talaab bana rakha hain; aur
is tareeke se jo ki samundar se mil jaaye (or like an infinity pool). Aur us
Talaab me bahut saare yantra hote hain, jo artificial waves create karte;
bade bade canons bane hue hain jinme paani bhare hue hain aur jo
samundar me toofan aur baarish create karte hain, shooting ke dauraan.
Isiliye humne waha pe shooting ki, jaha pe bahut saare bollywood filmo ki
shooting hoti hain”.
• Another actor revealed about the film, “It is a period film set in 1790’s and
the storyline is fictional and it revolves around a girl who is the lead
• “X” happens to be an archipelago (cluster of islands) in Mediterranean Sea
between Sicily and the North African Coast.
• Id the movie and “X”.
• 17. Narendra Modi has availed a scholarship for
students who along with being good in academics
also actively indulge in “X”.
• Termed as the Deen Dayal SPARSH Yojana,
students will be considered from 6th to 9th and
then 10 separately, those who are good graders as
well as, have indulged in the act of “X” and pass
through the “X” quiz as well. SPARSH stands for
Scholarship for Promotion of Aptitude and
Research in ______ as a Hobby.
• IT IS THE COLLECTION AND STUDY OF POSTAGE STAMPS
• 18. Researchers have disproved the common belief that the
Ukranian “X” is the oldest and have put forward that the
Indian “X” found in MP is the oldest.
• The research findings also traces the routes through which
the “X” moved from India, one through the Tartar
Mongoloid route via Kamchatka to the Americas and the
other through the western land route to Finland,
Scandinavia, the British Highlands and Europe.
• They claim to have found evidence that the “X” was used in
ancient "seals", or emblems, and also mentioned in
scriptures called the Vedas.
• Archaeologists suggested these “X’s” are the oldest ever
discovered and pre-date the Harappan civilisation, which
thrived in the Indus Valley between about 3,300 and 1,300
• Id “X”
• 19. Below shown are two pics. One is the Caspar David
Friedrich’s Wanderer above the Sea of Fog, which inspires the poster and
the other one is of a Penrose staircase or Infinite staircase which denotes
the theme. Both these pics together denote one movie. Name the movie
• 20. At present the “World’s Highest Railway Station” is situated in China
with the Xining-Golmud-Lhasa Railway line and the highest point being
Tanggula at 16,627 ft. It is followed by Peru with the Lima-huancayo Line
and the highest point being Ticilo at 15,843 ft.
• India takes up the 22nd position with Darjeeling Himalayan Railway, and
Ghum being its highest point at 7,405 ft.
• However a proposed project coming up in a certain country would connect
the X-Y-Z Railway Line covering 498 kms. When this Railway line gets
started, it will be the “World’s Highest Railway Station” at an elevation of
17,582 ft. The status as of such is that:
• Survey – done
• Feasibility Report – done
• Submission to Govt. Institution for appraisal – done
• Approval by Govt. Institution – yes
• Land Acquisition – no
• Construction – no
• Which country is this Railway Line coming up?
• 21. While playing GTA Vice City 5, you would come across this house. This
house a fictional representation of a real house belonged to a very famous
man, who surprisingly has a Guinness Book of World Record for owning the
world’s largest collection of personal scrapbooks. Proper Pic in next slide.
• 22. The ____________________ Limit is now accepted to be approximately
1.4 times the mass of sun; any white dwarf (a small very dense star that is
typically the size of a planet) with less than this mass will stay a white
dwarf forever, while a star that exceeds this mass is destined to end its
life in that most violent explosions: A Supernova.
• After which Nobel Laureate in Physics was this limit named.
• Trivia: Due to his knowledge in Hydrodynamics, he was selected to work in
a big secretive project, whose location site is given in the pic.
• Id the man and the project he was part of.
THE MANHATTAN PROJECT
• 23. As far as the Legend goes:
• Once upon a time, two sisters from heaven decided to
descend to the abode of clouds. They began their journey
together but ultimately only one sister reached Earth.
The second sister was lost along the way. Consumed by
grief for her lost sibling, the sister who reached
Meghalaya shed tears, which eventually formed the water
• However in much less legendary reality, the water body
was a man-made reservoir formed in 1965.
• The name of it in Khasi translates into “water from the
eyes” of “water of tears”.
• 24. The picture of 17 year-old Rawya abu Joma’a of
Gaza, an alleged victim of an Israeli attack was actually
taken by an award-winning American photo journalist
‘Heidi Levine’ in July, 2014.
• The picture is available on multiple news websites.
Rawya abu Joma’a 17, at Shifa hospital in Gaza city.
Rawya was wounded when two Israeli air strikes hit her
family’s apartment. Three of her cousins and sisters were
killed in the strike.
• How has she come into Indian context, in recent times.
• Pakistan's ambassador to the UN, Dr Maleeha Lodhi, brandished the
Palestinian girl's photo in the UNGA and said, dramatically: "This is the
face of Indian democracy".
• India calling out that as a lie.
25. Adolphe Quetelet – a
popularized the Bell curve
and the normal distribution.
However his search for the
‘average man’ in terms of
physique(weight and height),
led him to develop something
which went by the name of
‘Quetelet Index’ but is very
popular under a different
26. In 1780 a Chinese gentleman called Yong
Atchew received a grant of land from Warren
Hastings, the then Governor general of Bengal, in
an area about 30 km from Kolkata.
His tomb still exists in this area named
Atchipur/Acchipur after him.
What did he start, which was the first of its kind in
this region and thus led to a ubiquitous word in
most Indian languages of the region?
leading to sugar being
27. This video streaming site is the
brainchild of Jawed Karim, Steve
Chen and Chad Hurley, who were
the ex-workers of Paypal then. It is
currently owned by Alphabet Inc.
which also owns Google.