About Tangerine Lab
Tangerine Lab is a customer and brand
experience design firm.
• We are passionate about how customers experience and
engage with brands and adopt them as their favorite.
• Our mission is to help you become the brand of choice.
• Customer interactions designed through
• Design thinking
• Informed by data and analytics
• When appropriate, enabled through integration
of emerging technologies
• Expertise in the entire customer life-cycle built on a foundation
composed of people, process, technology and data
Entertainment & Enriching Content
Annual Loud Door Study: Top 20 Brands With Most
JD Power 2013 Benchmark: 67% Support vs 33% Marketing
Nielsen (2012): 33% prefer contacting brands via social
Edison research: 42% expect less than an hr; 9% in 5 minutes
Hubspot: 50% to compliment; 35% to complain
What Are Customers NOT On
Social Media For?
Gartner: 15% increase in churn rate when ignored
JD Power 33% there for marketing vs 67% for support
Varying needs for various
• 18-29 Year olds
• 23% for marketing vs 43% for service
• 30-49 year olds
• 39% for marketing vs 39% for service
• 50+ year olds
• 38% for marketing vs 18% for service
Customer Journey Maps As The
Roadmap To Opportunities
Where in the customer journey social media
will add the most value and how?
Why Can Customer Journey Maps Help?
• A tool in the customer experience designer’s toolkit.
• A narrative of the customer’s experience that can
span from the before brand awareness through
long term relationship
– Customer journey from their perspective
– Emotions, needs, aspirations & motivations
– Gaps and misalignments in the journey that can be
addressed by social media
– Opportunities to innovate or disrupt
– How a customer uses social in their daily lives and how
that use can be integrated into the customer journey
Complexities Introduced By
Journey Maps Can Address
Transition From A Multi-Channel to Omni-
Channel Mindset Is No Longer An Option
– Multiple channels (digital and physical) of
engagement with customers but no particular focus
on delivering consistent, seamless and optimized
experience across the channels.
– Multiple channels of engagement with customers but
WITH focus on delivering consistent, seamless and
optimized experience across the channels.
There Is No Such Thing As a “Social
• A part of an omnichannel and integrated
– Not a linear journey (From marketing to sales
– Seamless integration with legacy online and
offline channels matter and matter a lot.
– Don’t only optimize experiences for a channel,
but also optimize the experience across
channels and by offering the proper channel.
My Favorite First Stop: Twitter
My Not So Favorite Stop: Call
Which One Of So Many To Use?
• Private or public or a hybrid?
• Public: Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest,
Instagram, Linkedin, Google+, Yelp,
• There is no social-only customer. Social is
only a part of a customer’s omni-channel
• Customers use of social platforms across
their journey is not consistent.
• Customer journey maps as a roadmap to