Advanced Functions are used in
higher-level operations, such as
conditional and comparison
equations to compute interest
rates, due dates and payment
terms, and financial projections.
IF Statement Functions
IF Statements are conditional operators.
Results are returned IF the data specified in an
equation meets conditions set by the formula
IF statements can be written to carry out an action
Example: IF a value in a cell is greater than or equal to
another value, insert the word “Pass” in a cell.
Example: The answer is one value IF a condition you specify
evaluates to TRUE and returns another value IF the
condition evaluates to FALSE.
Date Functions are used to calculate a period
Types of Date Functions:
(1) NOW – returns the current date
(2) DATE360 – calculates the difference in days
between 2 dates
• The number of days that have elapsed since a value was
entered into a specific cell
• To calculate a 30 day due date for a record of spreadsheet
A Lookup function is used to compare a cell
value to an ARRAY of cells and return a
value that matches the location of the value
in the array.
(Note: the values MUST be placed in Ascending order)
Types of Lookup Functions:
(1) Lookup – used for two column vectors
(2) VLookUp – used when there are more
than two columns in the array (lookup
A List Function is used to:
◦ Assist in organizing spreadsheet information.
◦ Create a more user-friendly spreadsheet atmosphere.
◦ Control the size or content of data entries.
◦ Filter for specific content within a list.
Types of Lists:
A validated list limits data entry to specific
choices programmed into the function
A non-validated list allows additional entries
other than those provided in the drop-down
Example: displaying only the Southeast region vice
presidents from a spreadsheet instead of displaying
all of the vice presidents
The COUNT Function is used to return the
number of cells in a range.
Types of Count Functions:
◦ Count – returns the number of cells in a
range that contain numbers
◦ CountA – returns the number of cells in a
range that contain any value/label
◦ Countlf – returns the number of cells that
meet a condition set forth in a formula.