Do you want to up your style game? Or maybe you are just a fan of hedonism. Either way, fine cocktails and cigars are a hedonistic dreamland. The potent flavours of smoke and spirit, in combination, can create a truly unique taste experience. Reaching taste nirvana is not as simple as lighting a cigar and sipping something potent, the Cocktails & Cohiba session will show you the proper way.
There is a growing international trend in the area of specialty cigar lounges that cater to a sophisticated clientele. Pairing drinks with cigars has always focussed on strong spirits, like scotch and cognac, though scientifically there are better choices. Cocktails are a great way to produce a flavour that pairs well with a cigar.
Delicia Silva the "Cigar Vixen" will expertly guide attendees on the basics of cigar appreciation. Much like fine spirits, there are parallels in the production of cigars that align with the creations of spirits and cocktails. Delicia will demonstrate the rituals of cigar culture while Darcy O'Neil will explain the scientific reasons why certain cocktails and spirits pair better with cigars.
This session is for anyone who wants to elevate their enjoyment of cigars and cocktails.
WHY COCKTAILS & CIGARS
• Cigars have entered another trend cycle and smoking
properly will maximize your enjoyment
• Limited information about drink pairing with cigars
• Help you understand the current smoking laws and
how they apply to bars/restaurants
• The delirious effects and delights of being a rebel
• Dogma states that cigars are best enjoyed with strong
spirits like scotch and cognac. Is this true?
• What does science have to say about this?
A WORD ON HEALTH
• Long-term, repeated exposure to tobacco smoke will
have a negative effect on your health.
• Long-term, repeated exposure to alcohol will have a
negative effect on your health.
• Do not inhale cigar smoke, just taste it.
• Drink responsibly.
• Everything in moderation, including moderation.
THE RUSTY NAIL
1.5 oz Blended Scotch Whisky
0.5 oz Drambuie
Combine the Scotch and Drambuie
in a double Old-Fashioned glass,
add lots of ice, and stir.
If you like a pairing, continue to
enjoy it. Be not swayed by the
opinions of others.
MODERN COCKTAIL No.2
1 ounce Blended Scotch Whisky
2 ounces Sloe Gin
1 dash Orange Bitters
1 dash Absinthe
1 dash Grenadine
Combine ingredients in a mixing glass and fill with
ice. Stir until well chilled, about 20 to 30 seconds.
Strain into chilled cocktail glass.
• Strongly flavoured spirits, like scotch, are appropriate
• Current beliefs are only partially correct
• Smoking seriously degrades our ability to taste
• Though that inability to taste does not reduce hedonistic
response to things like sugar and fat.
• There was a significant amount of research done by major
cigarette companies to enhance the smoking experience.
• Much of this research was done on taste and sensory
• This research can be applied to cocktail and cigar pairings
• “…significantly more smokers than nonsmokers preferred
the higher sucrose concentrations”
• “…long-term exposure (i.e., being a smoker) may produce
chronically decreased taste hedonics without altering
• The role of sensory perception in the development and
targeting of tobacco products