Ticonderoga (May, 1775)
• Benedict Arnold & Ethan Allen go to British fort to
• Cannons for Boston
• 1st offensive attack on crown
• Ethan Allen takes the credit/doesn’t give Benedict Arnold any
• Green Mountain Boys (Ethan Allen’s troops)
Second Continental Congress
56 delegates back to Philadelphia
1. John Hancock—President of Congress (wearing
Wants to be commander of the army.
2. Who will they select to lead the army?
3. Write the “Olive Branch Petition” to King.
4. August: King ignores the petition.
Battle of Bunker Hill (June 1775)
• Militia have control of
Bunker and Breed’s
Hill across from Boston
• Patriots low on
ammunition. “Don’t fire
until you see the
whites of their eyes.”
• British attack 3 times
before taking hill.
Bunker Hill Continued
• British take the hills, however, the colonists had killed
more men. Over 1,000 British soldiers were dead or
wounded. 400 colonists were dead or wounded.
• The colonists had won a victory of confidence and pride.
The British never again underestimated the patriot’s
bravery and marksmanship.