April 18, 1775 Midnight Ride
British looking for weapons in Concord (20 miles
Also looking for John Hancock and Sam Adams
Colonists have weapons hidden.
Patriots have system of signals to alert if British are
coming to raid weapons.
Lanterns in Old North Church
– 1 if by land 2 if by sea
– Paul Revere, William Dawes, Samuel Prescott
ride to warn patriot militia (minutemen) “The
regulars are coming!”
The Spark: Lexington & Concord
• April 19, 1775
• What happened: Lexington: Someone fires a
shot, then both sides start shooting. Who shot
first?—doesn’t matter—war has started.
• Concord: British take what little weapons they
find, get attacked at North Bridge, then retreat
back to Boston.
• Fighting Styles: British in lines/groups
• Patriots: Guerilla (hit & run)
• End of the Day: British are back in Boston,
they had suffered 273 casualties, or deaths.
• American losses came to just under 100.
• 16,000 New England militiamen surrounded
Boston, trapping General Gage’s Redcoats
inside the city.