1. ACTIVE since 2008 - 5 1/2 years 2. Manage the social media campaigns for a number of clients, including global cosmetics brand, MODELS OWN 3. WRITTEN more than 2,000 PUBLISHED ARTICLES about Twitter since 2009
Twitter ’ s logos throughout the years (2006-2013)
OK... does anyone know what this is? Jack Dorsey ’ s original BLUEPRINT for TWITTER, which I think he SKETCHED in 2005, back when the micro-blogging social network was going to be called STATUS (STAT.US), before it evolved into Twitter. Early SIGNS of what was to COME.
Still pronounced TWITTER. Name inspired by FLICKR and the 5 CHARACTER LENGTH of SMS SHORT CODES in the USA. Heavy emphasis on sending messages via TEXT. Draw your attention to the part in BOLD. Looks like a GOOD CALL to me!
The FIRST TWEET ever sent on TWITTER. Interesting for TWO reasons. (1) Actually the TWENTIETH TWEET. What about to TWEETS ONE TO NINETEEN? NOBODY KNOWS. DATABASE CALLS? DELETED TO COVER UP THE MURDER? My guess? Tweets 1 to 19 were all about what the Twitter staff were having for BREAKFAST, and they though, “ Geez, NOBODY is going to be interested in THAT! ” (2) Jack ’ s original tweet set a precedent for EVERYONE ’ S FIRST TWEET
Here ’ s MY first tweet. Only sharing this because despite the fact that this was written almost two years after Twitter launched and I had never even heard of JACK DORSEY, my first tweet is actually pretty similar to his. Main difference? I didn ’ t tweet again for 23 days. Here ’ s the thing: NOBODY ’ s FIRST TWEET is any good. Why? Because NOBODY when they first start using Twitter knows what Twitter is. Which means everybody ’ s first tweet is basically the same: the first thing we all say on Twitter is HELLO I AM NOW USING TWITTER. To illustrate this, I ’ ve taken the liberty of cherry-picking a few tweets from members of our audience.
I ’ M FEELING LUCKY in BINARY.
Find your FIRST TWEET at TOPSY. EVERYBODY ’ s first tweet is basically the same. Find yours at Topsy and see how it stands up!
Anyone heard of Earnest Sewn?
This retweet of SPIN MAGAZINE is acknowledged as the first RETWEET in Twitter ’ s history. Content of tweet seems uncannily appropriate.
Both the RETWEET and the HASHTAG were invented by Twitter ’ s USERS, not Twitter themselves.
UC BERKELEY graduate JAMES BUCK was in EGYPT when he became involved in a peaceful anti-government protest. ARRESTED but managed to sent this TWEET on his way to the STATION to his 48 FOLLOWERS. Led to BERKELEY hiring a LAWYER on his behalf and Buck was RELEASED within 24 HOURS.
OBAMA (and his TEAM) used social media and TWITTER in particular to reach voters during his 2008 U.S. PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION. Arguably Twitter ’ s first significant marketer. Repeated the trick in 2012.
HUDSON RIVER CRASH. The first Twitter picture that was SEEN AROUND THE WORLD. Printed in NEWSPAPERS, shown on TV etc.
ASHTON KUTCHER vs CNN BREAKING NEWS. STREAMED IN LIVE VIDEO. Ashton won. Twitter TURNING POINT? “ A SINGLE VOICE can have as much power as an ENTIRE MEDIA NETWORK. ” Yes - a single CELEBRITY voice.
SAME DAY as ASHTON ’ s victory - BIG WEEK FOR TWITTER. Oprah had the TWITTER FOUNDERS on her show. Tweeted LIVE from there. SHAQ ’ s response is legendary.
For me: MJ ’ s death biggest event in Twitter ’ s history. Really put TWITTER on the MAP. Much bigger than the HUDSON CRASH.
2009-2011 IRAN TUNISIA EGYPT
Twitter clearly doing important things, but how were they going to make MONEY? Here was their answer: ADS.
Another PIVOTAL moment in Twitter ’ s history as a news medium, but this time it had a direct involvement due to people being very much ON THE SCENE.
Market quickly recovered once story was debunked but important lesson in Twitter ’ s growing power and also the importance of FACT CHECKING and SECURITY.
2012. But we do know it was US who SCORCHED THE SKIES.
* Promoted Trends are regional - you ’ re paying to go to the top of your COUNTRY, and will only be visible to users who have their TWITTER TRENDS set to that region. You can switch between the different trends by REGION on Twitter to see different PROMOTED TRENDS in action. It ’ s educational!
Access YOUR analytics at: ads.twitter.com
You can divvy up that £15K how you choose (Promoted Account, Promoted Tweets etc). Twitter tells me that SELF SERVICE launching in the UK “ before the end of the year ” . They did tell me it was launching “ before the end of the summer ” . So we ’ ll see!
Apart from being very famous, FULL SERVICE advertising is the ONLY GUARANTEED way to get a VERIFIED PROFILE You can set as many PINNED TWEETS as you like which work like ADS (can be targeted etc) Being able to filter mentions improves CUSTOMER SERVICE
How important is VINE to Twitter ’ s FUTURE? SHOW OF HANDS: Who here has ever made a VINE video? Keep your HAND UP if you actually published that VINE to TWITTER?
MOBILE is VERY important to TWITTER ’ s FUTURE. CRITICAL, actually.
SEPTEMBER 12TH. DATE OF IPO UNKNOWN - was expected Q1 2014.
FACEBOOK IPO = fell pretty sharply, gradually recovered TWITTER IPO = start strong, gradually decline for a period of time while market waits for proof of earnings
ACTIONABLE TIPS and BEST PRACTICES that you can start using in your Twitter campaigns straight away.
NOT 140 = 100 characters All links converted to TCO ALWAYS LEAVE ORGANIC (OLD SCHOOL) RETWEET SPACE - not everyone uses the new-style RETWEET, and people LOVE TO ADD COMMENTS.
Big STUDY between TWITTER and COMPETE. FUN & ENTERTAINMENT = increasingly customers want brands to be REAL PEOPLE. PERSONABLE, not PERSONAL.
You ’ d be amazed how many of your fans will NEVER see your message. So if it ’ s IMPORTANT, keep saying it.
SHOW OF HANDS for HOOTSUITE. I recommend TWEETBOT or HOOTSUITE. Twitter ’ s OFFICIAL APPS are limited but keep an eye on them as new features ROLL OUT FIRST. You can effectively manage Twitter in less than ONE HOUR per day (spread out!). Don ’ t have THE TWITTER GUY. Don ’ t be THE TWITTER GUY.
Respond to initial complaint PUBLICLY, then move the conversation to EMAIL. Some people just love to complain. Worst kind of FAN on Twitter is what I call the POLITE TROLL. They act friendly while essentially always complaining or fault-finding. Can be poison. Nuke ‘ em!
Please do NOT autopost to Twitter from other social networks (i.e., FourSquare, Facebook). Your boss probably doesn ’ t GET Twitter. Help him out - it ’ s in your interest. Ideally you should always manage your Twitter presence yourself, but if you don ’ t have the resources you can look AMATEURISH. It ’ s OKAY to outsource, but do your homework. This is YOUR BRAND, after all.
Social calling shea presentation ppt
Take your Twitter marketing to the next level
Social Media Manager
What’s on the agenda?
• A brief history of Twitter (Twitter “firsts”)
• Twitter paid marketing
• The future of Twitter
• 10 actionable Twitter #takeaways
• Your questions
Twitter = news
May, 2011 - the death of Osama Bin Laden
Twitter ≠ news
April 23rd, 2013 - market plummets on ‘news’
Brands go sentient
We don’t know who will strike first - us or them
• 240+ million active users (15m in the UK, +5m in 18 mos)
• 1 billion tweets sent every 2-3 days
• 80% of users in the UK connect via mobile
• 1 in 3 UK mobile users go on Twitter in social situations (i.e.,
at a restaurant or gallery)
• 40% of users worldwide useTwitter as a "curated news feed
of updates that reflect their passions" (i.e., they don’t tweet)
• 63% of brands onTwitter have more than one active profile
•The only legitimate
way to “buy”
followers on Twitter
•Pay only when you
add a follower via
•Get your message in
front of a relevant,
and raise awareness
•Pay only when a user
reply, clicks link etc)
•Go straight to the
top of Twitter for 24
•Massive exposure for
•Priced against # of
Twitter users in your
country (i.e., £20,000
for the UK, $200K in
Free for everyone, genuinely
valuable when marketing
• Full Service
- access to all Promoted Products
- £15,000 min. commitment (Trends extra)
- available worldwide
• Self Service
- access to some Promoted Products
- pay as you go (for lower budgets)
- available in the U.S. only
Why advertise with
• It works!
• Organic growth onTwitter is slow
• High engagement + awareness + traffic
• Verified profile (credibility < 1 week)
• Pinned tweets (‘free’ marketing)
• Filter mentions (signal > noise)
• Twitter’s short social video platform
• Create and share 6-second, looping videos
• 40 million users (since Jan 2013)
• Very effective for brand marketing
• Interest and growth feels like early Twitter
• At the very least,Vine has given us this...
• Estimated valuation of $15-20 billion
• Twitter is a media darling - IPO > $30 bn
• IPO will be the opposite of Facebook’s
• Twitter is betting big on mobile
• ‘Dumbing down’ mobile interface to better appeal to a
mainstream audience (streams + TV)
• Twitter feels like it’s already everywhere, but it’s an illusion - most
of your friends don’t use it (they will)
• Cash injection will take Twitter literally everywhere
• All of this will have a huge impact on marketing
• Don’t keyword stuff your bio - far better to just give
people the facts to inform their ‘shall I follow?’ decision
• Ensure your Twitter profile photo is clear at all sizes
and scales - you never know where and how somebody
is reading your tweets
• Keep a close eye on the apps that have access to your
Twitter profile - revoke anything that you no longer
need or do not remember authorising (you can always
1. GO PRO WITH YOUR PROFILE
Twitter #takeaways2. THINK IN 100 CHARACTERS (OR LESS)
Copy (100 or less)
Believe it or not, this
tweet is written to
exactly 100 characters,
showing how much space
http://t.co RT space
• Be consistent, find your ‘voice’
• Don’t #use #hashtags #on #every #flippin
• Get inside the heads of your followers - who do
they think they are talking to?
• WHY are they following you?
• ‘Playing’ with your audience (or other brands)
can reap dividends...
• Share more images - they generate at least 2x
the engagement rate of text-only tweets
• Don’t share images only for engagement
• Upload images via Twitter’s image sharer
(pic.twitter.com) - avoids the dreaded extra
click (i.e., Instagram)
• If you have a verified profile, always pin a
tweet with an image at the top
• There is no ‘best time to tweet’ (but there
might be for you)
• Share your best content twice per day,
every day - AM and PM
• PROMOS:The better the offer, the more
people will need (and be happy) to keep
hearing about it
7. THINK MOBILE
access Twitter via
mobile, 80% UK
•Twitter feels different
on a mobile (and
•Will your message be
understood ‘on the
• Use HootSuite
• Find your perfect mobile Twitter client
• Twitter is 24/7 (you don’t have to be)
• Delegate & empower your team
8. MANAGE TWITTER
• Manage complaints privately (move the
• Consider setting your profile to receive direct
messages from any follower - can reduce
• Do not feed the trolls (the block button is
your friend - get ruthless!)
9. CUSTOMER SUPPORT
• If you’re going to use Twitter, use Twitter
(Twitter folks hate being sent to Facebook)
• Educate your boss
• Do it yourself - and if you can’t, find
someone who can do it properly
10. BONUS TIPS
Social Media Manager