1.Good afternoon dear colleagues: My name is Enrique Díaz Moreno and my goal is to introduce all of you Indexfokus. Indexfokus is a tool that is already used in some Spanish clusters and territories to evaluate its competitiveness and to help their leaders and managers in the formulation of the best competitive strategy in a consensual way.
2. The fundamental principles of the Indexfokus are: The theory of stakeholder The Gestalt concept about perception, and The newest technologies and its capacities to create neuronal networks in modern organizations
3. The conceptual model of Indexfokus is very simple as you can see: In this graph, each column represents one of the competitiveness factors. All we know that in each market, some factors are more important than others. In Indexfokus the importance of each factor is represented by the width of its column. Wider means more importance. Furthermore the height of each column represents the level that our cluster has in relation to the best cluster in each factor. This simple graph serves to identify the gaps of competitiveness: The surface between the upper base of the column and the highest level of competitiveness represents the competitiveness hole we have in each factor. The bigger the surface, the bigger the gap. We can deduce that the relationship between the surface covered by the columns and the possible surface to cover, is a competitiveness index. The arrows show the two extreme strategies to become leaders in competitiveness: Cover the holes or influence the market by creating new factors or enhancing those in which we are strong
4. Therefore our work to get an index of competitiveness and discover which are our gaps in it is: 1. Define the competitiveness factors. 2. Weighting their importance in our market 3. And then, positioning our organization in each factor always in relation to the best.
5. To choose its Competitiveness Factors, Indexfokus is inspired by the 12 Pillars of Competitiveness of the World Economic Forum. Here we can see those which Indexfokus considers in its evaluations for clusters.
6. In order to weight the importance of each of the competitiveness factors, Indexfokus uses this kind of evaluation.
7. To determine the competitive position, the height of the column, Indexfokus presents another evaluation, five "good practices or attitudes" which distinguish to the best competitor for each competitiveness factor. The evaluator must express his satisfaction about the way in which each good practice is being applied in our cluster. Here we can see the kind of evaluation that I am taking about.
8. In short: An evaluator who fills the two assessments before, (it means weighting the factors and calibrating the competitive position), provide enough information as to determine the level of competitiveness that he gives to our cluster.
9. Obviously, each evaluator has a point of view, a way of seeing and perceiving our cluster and this is important, but what really matters to us is the perception of our groups of interest.
10. The cluster manager knows which groups form part of the value chain of its cluster. He knows the people who are the most respected due to thei knowledge and experience It is not difficult for him and his team to build a stakeholder matrix like this, to assign the experts to the interest groups.
11. Loading this matrix in Indexfokus tool, the same cluster manager or someone of his team can launch the evaluation process, monitoring it and stimulating the collaboration of the invited experts.
12. When the evaluation is finished, Indexfokus always gives the results always in a graphical way. Here we can see the Indexfokus graph I explained at the beginning of this presentation on a real case.
13. Following with this example, Indexfokus detects and orders the competitiveness gaps, from the highest to lowest, prioritizing the factors over we should concentrate the resources to increase the competitive level in the more rational way.
14. Even more because of the way Indexfokus has being developed, now it can tell us which good practices we must improve in each factor, taking into account our stakeholders.
15. Here we have the kind of graphs that Indexfokus gives as results. We can obtain general results, and also by stakeholder, which allows us to compare them. This is a source of valuable information for the manager, which facilitates the preparation of meetings and messages. In the brochure that will be distributed at the end of the session you will find more accurate information about the graphs Indexfokus allows.
16. Evaluating and acting under the guidance of the stakeholders, following the Indexfokus methodology allows the cluster to enter in a virtuous spiral through the competitiveness.
17. The Indexfokus methodology has being developed as a tool in i-cloud.
18. Thank you for your attention.
TCI 2015 Indexfokus: A cluster’s competitiveness as perceived by stakeholders
A cluster’s competitiveness as
perceived by stakeholders
Enrique Díaz Moreno
TCI Member & Mentor
Associate Professor at UPNA
“Building a common vision and multistakeholder commitment to
the national and European competitiveness agendas, and mobilizing support from
leaders across sectors, will help fulfil the ambitions of the Europe 2020 agenda.”
The Europe 2020 Competitiveness Report.
Components of the
“Organization, identification and
interpretation of sensory
information in order to represent
and understand of the
“The mind understands external
stimuli as whole rather than the
sum of their parts and It informs
us about the environment more
realistically to ensure our
We are interested to
They are interested in
between us must be
"win to win"
The key milestones of
1. Determining the “Factors of Competitiveness”
2. Weighting the “Factors of Competitiveness”
3. Calibrating the “Level of competitiveness” in each factor
The 12 Competitiveness Factors (WEF):
Weighting the “Factors
If no weights are set
to the statements:
Indexfokus assesses the competitiveness in two
phases corresponding to the two dimensions of
perception of any evaluator:
1. Weighting the importance of the Market Competitiveness
Factors. 10-15 minutes
2. Calibrating the Competitive Position in each factor:
Indexfokus presents 5 Best Practices for each factor, and
the evaluator graduates if are applied successfully by the
organization. 20-30 minutes.
3. Individual Indexfokus:
“Expert evaluators” means:
Professionals who know our
organization and the market in
which we compete from their
“Working with perceptions”
Experts don’t need to handle special
documents, reports or data. Their
knowledge and experience are
enough in a fast assessment process.
Assigning the experts to the stakeholders
J. K. X
G. H. X X
S. Y. X
H. H. X
R. M. x
L. J. X X
Where z collects all
Indexfokus of the Groups
The competitiveness gaps
Gap in CF 9
Dark zone of competitiveness
The “hollows of competitiveness” sorted from
highest to lowest priority, tell us the main
factors on which to act:
Indexfokus tells us too which
good practices we must
improve in each factor:
The kinds of Indexfokus graphs:
The strategy: a virtuous spiral
“Focus on priorities, act, measure and start again”.
Indexfokus has being developed
through cloud computing