Introduction Innovation Contest Shenzhen by Henri Broekmate (Lionbridge)
The Game Changer Innovation
Awards at LocWorld Shenzhen
Innovation as a Core Human Quality
• What distinguishes humans from all other species is flexible mass collaboration
• We’ve been able to orchestrate a global exchange of ideas
• Our imagination makes flexible mass collaboration possible
• Humans use language to create fictional realities to structure the world
• Cognitive revolution, agricultural and industrial revolutions – digital is now!
TAUS Priorities – Innovation Roadmap
Priorities – All Responses
Translation is Becoming More Datafied and
Machines are learning
For improvement of automated translation: Neural MT of course ….
… but also for translation process automation:
• Translator: productivity (words and edits per hour, mouse clicks), behavior, on-
time delivery, eye tracking, biographical data, capacity, third party evaluations,
interests, social graph
• Environment: weather, time zone, news events
• Project metadata: industry, content type, language pair, process, technology,
client, translator, reviewer
• Quality: requested quality level (good enough, human quality), purpose, source
• Technology: MT engines, TM leverage, process settings, data used for training
Translation becomes ‘invisible’, a utility like electricity, internet.
We (as professionals) will all have dashboards to control and track the
quality of our translations.
Which Concepts Characterize Today’s Game
Changer Innovation Contest Candidates?
• Always on “crowd-in-the-cloud”
• Advanced MT – engine training
• Algorithmic translator assignment
• Artificial intelligence
• Automated language quality evaluation
• MT for video localization
• Computer-aided translation training
• P2P TM trading
• Semantic-based composite resource matching
• Cloud-based review platform using DQF principles
Today’s Contestants and Format
Six minutes each to make a compelling pitch