Introduction to integration for local government webinar
Webinar: An introduction to
integration for local
No Date Title
1. Today An introduction to integration for local government
2. 22 Aug 19 Better customer experiences and satisfaction.
How leading organisations in finance, transport and telecommunications are
using middleware and the lessons for local government
3. 14 Oct 19 Automation and Integrated Forms.
How integration platforms are helping IT departments to drive efficiencies in
Councils like yours.
4. 31 Jan 20 Webinar: Simplifying complex integration projects in Local Government.
5. 6Apr 20 Webinar: Integration Case studies.
Practical examples of how councils are using platforms to drive of digital
In association with:
• Presenters: Fergal Coleman and Tom
• Audience: CEOs, General Managers,
IT Managers, Digital Managers,
Comms and Community
• All attendees on mute by default.
• If you have any questions please add
them to the chat box – we will
answer as we go and also leave some
time for questions at the end.
• This session will be recorded and
added to our YouTube channel.
• If you would like to be sent a link to
the recording when it is available
please let us know.
• Digital disruption and integration
• Integration terminology explained
• Digital transformation in local government
– Why integration is critical to transformation
• Examples from local government
Who we are.
We are the “Smart Glue” for Local Government.
We help clients deliver simple, connected, customer experiences.
We provide strategic technical consulting and a clever digital
Digital disruption – everything is connected
“…..everything that's happening in marketing is digitized. Everything that's
happening in finance is digitized. So pretty much every industry, every
function in every industry, has a huge element that's driven by
information technology. It's no longer discrete.”
Satya Nadella, CEO of Microsoft Corporation
Integration and digital transformation
• IT is like Lego - highly flexible and
plug and play (via APIs).
• Integrated systems are scalable.
• The technology is affordable
• New business models causing
massive disruption and huge new
• Whole industries have been
disrupted by integrated systems.
• How people live, work and play
has been changed.
Integration technologies and terminology (a
little bit technical!)
What are APIs?
• Customizable software layer built on top
• Exposes internal processes to external
• APIs dictate how to interact with an
application – messaging format,
• API design is critical in ensuring an
application is easy to use without
SOAP VS. REST
• SOAP is a protocol that strictly adheres to a
set of standardized rules for
communication between two systems
• Requires all communication to be in a rigid
structure and using the XML messaging
• Has built-in security and fault tolerance
• PayPal, Salesforce, Amazon all still maintain
• REST is a looser set of guidelines for
developing an API that focuses on
statelessness and uniform interfaces
• Can use any messaging format. E.g. JSON
• More flexible and lightweight than SOAP
and typically designed to decouple the
client and server applications
• An open-source tool used to test the availability
and functionality of an API
• Allows developers to formulate messages that
assess specific parts of an application’s API
• Can be used to test both SOAP and RESTful APIs
• Modular design for a software system that
focuses on building single-function services with
well-defined interfaces and operations
• Extension of SOA (Service-Oriented Architecture)
which focuses on breaking a service down into a
number of loosely-coupled services
• Fine-grained and lightweight communication
• This approach is more scalable, fault-tolerant
and, in most cases, faster than traditional
Middleware and Enterprise Service Bus
• Middleware is responsible for transforming
messages between applications.
• Basically the plumbing for IT infrastructure
• Enterprise Service Bus (ESB) is a middleware
architecture that integrates different applications
by putting a communication bus between them.
• The bus is responsible for handling the
communication, routing certain messages using
internal logic and relaying appropriate events to
• Avoids point-to-point communication which
enhances scalability and fault-tolerance – no
Why digital transformation in LG?
• To meet customer expectations
– Mobile/digital primary channel for (younger) residents
• To drive efficiencies
– Process improvement - remove manual/double handling
– Savings of $100,0000 + pa by using simple online forms
(est. for mid –size rural council)
• To improve customer service and service delivery
– Service delivered in channels of preference
– Better data enables council to better predict and service customer needs
• To find new and better ways of doing things
– New technologies (open source/cloud/web services (APIs) provide flexibility
– This potentially allows us to change/adapt our business model
• Unlock potential
– Drive innovation and unleash staff
Why digital transformation?
“If government agencies made the most of digital experience platforms and
new ways of delivering services to improve the efficiency of citizen
transactions, it could effectively give back one day to every adult every year”
– “Rethinking the digital dividend” - 2019 Report by Adobe and Deloitte.
Source: IDC InfoBrief / Accelerating ANZ’s Digital Transformation Using Data.
“The reality is that 64% of ANZ enterprises are digitally stuck. IDC’s research
shows that whilst ANZ organisations embracing DX have been quick to initiate
siloed digital projects, many are now challenged with extending these
initiatives across the greater enterprise for truly transformative results.”
IDC InfoBrief / Accelerating ANZ’s Digital Transformation Using Data.
Many local governments are digitally stuck…..
How do we break the deadlock?
We acknowledge it is much more than technology…
• Change management
However, a major roadblock for councils is the fact systems don’t or can’t
• Integration of systems
Integration is critical to transformation journey.
Glue is required to make it work efficiently
The Ideal Solution
• Enterprise Integration provides:
– Customers with a seamless experience
– Eliminates manual processes
– Connects ALL systems – core applications AND cloud systems (shadow IT)
• Integration technologies are everywhere!
• Digital transformation can’t happen without them.
• The technologies are affordable for even the smallest council.
• You need to have a solid integration strategy – but we’ll talk about that in
our future webinars..