Research Services Librarian
Social Sciences Team
Cornell University Library definition of
a reference librarian
Reference librarians are specialists
in the field of information retrieval.
Generally they have a Masters
degree in library science… They
are available at reference desks to
help you find the information you
are looking for.
10:00 AM -7:00 PM
May be working weekends or nights.
Questions? Ask Reference!
(678) 547-6282 (Atlanta)
M - Th 9AM-9PM
Add askmercer as your buddy!
• Books vs. Journals
• Popular vs. Scholarly Journals
• Keywords vs. Subject Headings
• Boolean search operators
• Library guide for class
• Library catalog
• Article database
• Citation manager
• Game with prizes!
Remember to start your research early.
Not everything can be found full-text
online or at all hours.
o Interlibrary Loan
o Interlibrary Use
o Print copies of books and
o Reference Librarian
Sources of Information
• Periodicals - Journals, Magazines,
• Primary sources (e.g. historical letters)
• Background Reading & Brainstorming
• Develop the topic
• Focus the topic
Good for background
Information may not be as
current as what you would
find in journal articles or web
That might or might not be
• Periodicals used by researchers
to share their findings with one
another and the public.
• They contain articles describing
new research or ideas written in a
formal manner that includes
background information, methods
used, results/interpretation and
• Research articles are peer-
How do I tell?
• May contain graphs and charts.
• Written by a scholar in the field or by
someone who has done research in
the field. Degrees attained and
institutional affiliations are often
included by the authors’ names.
• Always cite their sources in the form
of footnotes or bibliographies
• No glossy pages or pictures