7. Data Analysis and Interpretations
A. Findings from surveying the Managers and company:
1. Job Analysis Conducted: Before starting the recruitment process the members of
the sales organization of Birla sun life Insurance conduct a proper job Analysis.
2. Persuasions for vacant post: Birla sun life Insurance persuades people for the
vacant posts for its sales personnel (sales Managers) through references and also
through walk in Interview. And in case of Advisors the company does not go out
to persuade people for the vacant post. The basic reason behind doing so is that
sales personnel (advisors are not appointed on salary basis but on commission
basis. So as many people who fulfill the criteria are taken into firm.
3. Sources of Recruitment: The main sources of Recruitment used in Birla sun life
Insurance are external in nature. External sources like direct unsolicited applicants
and sales force of competating components etc are the main external sources of
recruitment. It also has internal sources of recruitment. It also has internal sources
of recruitment like transfers within the company.
4. Informal Discussion of the Job opportunity: Once the candidates have been
identified at the beginning of the recruitment process in Birla Sun Life Insurance,
the chosen candidates are called in for an informal discussion of the job
opportunity, so that candidates can have a clear knowledge of the about the career
5. Minimum Educational Qualification criteria: The minimum educational
criteria for recruitment in Birla Sun Life Insurance is a graduate i.e. a person to be
recruited (as a sales manager) should possess the minimum qualification of being
a graduate in any discipline from a recognized university. Preferably with at least
2-3 years of experience in sales. And for becoming advisors of the company a
person must be 10th+2 pass.
6. Responsibility of Recruitment: The responsibility of recruitment in Birla Sun
life Insurance is bestowed upon the sales manager. In addition the Branch
Manager also has the responsibility of recruitment.
7. Personnel Trait in Sales Personnel: Good communication skills, Leadership,
sociality and extrovertism etc are some of the personality traits required by a
person to be recruited as sales personnel in Birla Sun Life Insurance. Besides the
above mentioned personality traits, the person to be recruited should also have the
ability to receive information, besides knowledge and database, required to be
successful in the field.
8. Budget for recruitment: Birla Sun Life Insurance does not have any fixed
budget for recruitment of sales personnel.
9. Profile of salesmen: profile of the type of sale [personnel needed in the
organization is developed by the training department in Birla sun Life Insurance.
10. Period of recruitment: Recruitment is done actually as well as on a continual
basis in Birla Sun Life Insurance. The organization believes in as many advisors
as possible because of which it recruits people continually even when there is no
such need to make recruitment.
11. Recruits Value: The Recruits in Birla Sun life Insurance do not value salary, job
satisfaction, creativity, etc, but value Career opportunity, reward, and recognition.
12. Programme of evaluating your recruitment programme: Birla Sun life
Insurance evaluates its recruitment programme and the recruited personnel
through the performance of their sales personnel
13. Most suitable source of recruitment: According to the respondent, internal
source of recruitment is more suitable for the organization. This is because, when
recruitment is done from the internal source, then the recruits are already aware of
the company and its policies, rules and regulations and hence less time is spent in
making them understand and socialize with the environment of the company and
thus it is less expensive.
14. Special technical knowledge preferred: Birla Sun Life Insurance does not give
any special technical knowledge.
15. Separate sales Department: Separate sales Department are preferable for any
organization/Firm. Birla sun life Insurance does not have a separate sales
department. The structure of the sales department is “functional sales
16. Special Mode of sales personnel: Birla Sun Life insurance follows a specific
mode for selection of its sales personnel. To become a sales manager of the
company a person must be a graduate preferably MBA. He must be 25 years of
age, he/she should be living in the city for more than 5 years.
17. Objective of Interview: Every organization interviews candidates with a certain
objective of knowing whether the candidate has the capability to excel at the job,
while some may want to know the level of determination of the candidate to have
the job. Some other may want to know whether the job will realize the candidate’s
goals. However Birla sun Life Insurance interviews its candidates not with the
above mentioned objective but only to work to his fullest capacity.
18. Selection procedure: The selection procedure followed in Birla sun Life
Insurance is flexible in nature. It can be altered or slightly changed according to
the circumstances but the sales personnel are not selected informally.
19. Most advantageous selection process: In Birla Sun Life Insurance the formal
selection process is regarded as more advantageous. Formal selection process is
more dependable, and moreover it helps to know the exact need for the job of a
particular candidate, hence it is more advantageous.
20. The selection tool employed: The selection tool employed by Birla Sun Life
a) Formal Application Form.
d) Background investigation
e) Physical Examination
21. Techniques of Formal Interview used: Formal selection process used in Birla
Sun Life Insurance includes:
a) Pattern Interview
b) Rating tests
c) Field observation.
22. Use of Psychological test: Birla Sun Life Insurance does go for any
Psychological tests Birla Sun Life Insurance also use tests like personality test,
aptitude test etc.
23. Problems Encounter during selection: Birla Sun Life Insurance does not
encounter any major problem during selection of selection of sales personnel
(sales manager). The only problem which they face is that the advisors fail in the
IRDA examinations because of which the number of candidates selected is
reduced in number.
24. Training of Sales Personnel: Birla Sun Life Insurance imparts training to its
sales personnel. The training program is a decentralized as well as centralized. It
is centralized program because it is done by the training department. Training is
imparted to advisors with the objective of increasing productivity, improved
personal selling, improve self confidence, improve communication and customer
relation. And it can be said as de-centralized as sometimes it also involves the use
of senior sales people, and on the job training.
25. Content of Training Program: The Program of Birla Sun Life Insurance
Product knowledge and persuasive communication skills
Trainee’s attitude towards the selling job.
Knowledge of the company goal, organization policies and procedures.
Knowledge of the competitive products as well as their own
Knowledge of their business principles
26. Training Methods of the organization: the training methods used in Birla Sun Life
Lecture or class room instruction method
Group discussion method
Audiotapes and web-based training
There are two types of training one s the IRDA training. IRDA gives hundred hour
training about insurance as a whole. Then they are required to appear in one exam, only
after getting the license, they are given product training. Product Training is very
important because it as a knowledge based industry and without proper training a person
cannot have clear concept about the product he is supposed to sell.
Training for the sales personnel is known as MDP (Management Development program),
held for a period of ten days.
27. Evaluation of training Program: Birla Sun Life Insurance does not have any strict
evaluation programs for its sales personnel. It evaluates its sales personnel on the basis of
28. Rewards and Recognition: there is various performance based reward in Birla Sun
Life Insurance. Some of the rewards recognition given to the advisors includes.
Silver Club member: when an advisor gives 25 lives, with a W.R.P of
Rs.60000, he is rewarded as silver club member.
Gold Club Member: when an advisor gives 50 lives, with a W.R.P of 3
lakhs, he is rewarded as the gold club member.
M.D.R.T: when an advisor gives a business of 3 lakhs and 34 thousand he is
rewarded as an M.D.R.T (million Dollar Round table)
C.O.T: when an advisor gives business, which is 3 times of what he needs to
be a MDRT, he is rewarded as COT (centre of Table)
T.O.T: when an advisor gives business which is 3 times of what he needs to be
a COT, he is rewarded as TOT(top of the table)
29. Allocation of Responsibilities: The Basis of allocation of responsibility of the sales
personnel in Birla Sun Life Insurance is mainly dependent upon the objective of the
30. Motivational Tolls Used: Birla Sun Life Insurance conducts seasonal contests for
motivating the advisors. They also use motivational tools for motivating the sales
personnel. Sometimes they float internet completions within the company; they also use
rewards and recognition and also felicitation to motivate their sales personnel’s.
1. How do they come to know about the job?
Through walk-in Interview-3
pie showing how the
manegers came to know
about the job
2. Qualification of Managers:
Out of 10 managers that I have survey I found 6 of them to be Graduate and 4 of
them to be post –graduate.
3. Past experience of managers:
0-1 year- 2
0-3 year 0-2 year
4. Training Program: All the sales managers in Birla Sun Life Insurance have
undergone a training program of minimum 6 days after their selection as a sales manager.
5. Is Training Program Effective: All the sales personnel in Birla Sun Life
Insurance agreed to the fact that training program given to them is very effective
and helps them to get a wide knowledge of the company and product they are
6. What does the training program include: According to the sales personnel’s the
training program consists of product knowledge, personality developments, types
of markets, company background and Introduction.
7. Sources of recruitment of sales personnel’s:
Sales force of competating companies-2
Direct unsolicited Appllicants-4
sources of recruitment
Sales force of
8. Age group of managers:
Sample size -10
25-26 - 2
26-27 - 4
27-28 - 2
28-29 - 2
B. Advisors :
age group of managers
25 - 26
26 - 27
28 - 29
27 - 28
1. How do they come to know about the job Vacancy?
Sample size – 50
Through Reference – 30
Through advertisement - 5
Through sales manager - 15
pie showing how the
advisors came to know
about the vaccancy
2 Qualification of advisors:
Sample size – 50
10+2 – 28
Graduate – 20
Post Graduate – 2
3. Training Program: Of all the sales personals advisors) interviewed all of them have
undergone training after joining Birla Sun Life Insurance and all of them are satisfied
with the training provided to them and feel that the training program had helped them
much in selling the company’s products.
4. What does the training program include? The training program provided to the
advisors include, introduction and knowledge about the company, the types and products
they have to deal with, market knowledge, information about the competitors products,
strengths and weaknesses of their company.
Birla Sun Life Insurance is among the top ranked insurance company in the
private sector. The company is running successfully because of good selection
procedure, training programs and motivational tools. Birla Sun Life Insurance
is successful with ethics. They require business but never misled public. They
claim to follow all the rules and regulations issued by the company.
Birla Sun Life Insurance recruits its sales force generally from sales force of
competating and non- competating companies, Direct unsolicited applicants
and trough internal transfers. The main criterion for recruitment is educational
qualification (graduate). Besides an experience of at least 2-3 years is
preferred. They evaluate their sales personnel on the basis of their
performance. While selecting candidates, interview, background,
investigation, some psychological tests and other tests are used. The selection
procedure is formal and flexible. Training is imparted through lectures or class
room instruction method, demonstration, mentoring, on the job training etc
advisors in Birla Sun Life Insurance are given a training after which they are
required to appear in IRDA exam. Only after qualifying in the exam they are
granted with a license. The sales personnel (sales manager) also undergo
training of at least 6-7 days after selection.
The company uses various motivational tools to motivate sales personnel and
sales force. Rewards and recognition facilitation and internal competition are
the motivational tools the company generally uses.
1. Besides focusing only on sales- force of competating companies and direct unsolicited applicants
and internal transfers, the company should also go for other sources of recruitment such as
educational institutes, sales executives clubs etc.
2. Role playing should also be used as a [art of the selection process so that the capacity of the
candidates perform well in a given situation can be assessed.
3. The company should focus on advertisement as, it attracts young and aspirant people to join
Davar, Rustom’s, Davar Shorab R, Davar, Nuslir Salesmanship and Publicity
Vikash Publishing House,Pvt Ltd
Pillai, R.S.N Bhagwati Modern Marketing principles and
Practices, S.Chands company Ltd.
Sudha G.S Sales and Advertisement Management,
Indus valley Publication, Jaipur