1. Which organelle is known as “the
d. Funny Bone
2. Which of the following is not part of a
3 . What is apoptosis?
a. A type of death that resembles suicide
b. The popping sound cells make when they
c. Type of cell division that produces daughter
d. The type of cell death that occurs as the
result of traumatic injury or exposure to
4 : The largest human cell (by volume) is the
5. The nucleus of an atom consists of:
c. protons and neutrons
d. protons, neutrons, and electrons
6. An electron carries a _______.
7. Entomology is the scientific study of:
a. Internal organs
8. The green pigment found in plants that
performs photosynthesis is:
9. A proton has what electrical charge?
a. no charge
b. positive charge
c. negative charge
d. either a positive or negative charge
10. The ozone layer protects us from too
a. carbon dioxide
b. gamma radiation
c. ultraviolet radiation
d. temperature fluctuation
11. Lizards belong to which animal group?
12. What is the 7th element on the periodic
table of elements?
13. True or false? DNA is the shortened form of
the term ‘Deoxyribonucleic acid’?
17. These functions are all part of a
mechanism that allows the body to maintain
a balance between itself and the
environment. What is that mechanism
18. What is formed immediately after
19. Which is a chemical change?
a. melting an ice cube
b. dissolving sugar in boiling water
c. boiling an egg
d. crushing a can
20) What is formed immediately after
21. Mushrooms that grow on the sides of
trees in a forest ecosystem are best
classified by which of the following types of
22. Fruit is derived from which part of the
23.. Pollination involves the transfer of pollen
a. 5 to 1
b. 5 to 4
c. 5 to 3
d. 4 to 5
e. 4 to 1
25. The parts of the male reproductive
structure of the flower are ____ and ____
27. Organisms that comprise the greatest
mass of living substance (biomass) in a
terrestrial food chain
a. Decomposers (e.g., bacteria)
b. Producers (e.g., grasses)
c. Primary consumers (e.g., mice)
d. Secondary consumers (e.g., snakes)
e. Tertiary consumers (e.g., hawks)
28. Nitrogenous base that occurs in RNA
but not in DNA
29. What happens when two negatively charged
particles are next to each other?
a. The particles attract each other.
b. One particle becomes uncharged.
c. One particle becomes positively charged.
d. The particles repel each other
30. The two types of prokaryotes are
__________ and ____________
31. Which gas is monatomic at STP?
32. There are alternate acid base theories
that define an acid as any species that can
a. donate a proton
b. donate an electron
c. accept a proton
d. accept an electron
33. An ion with 5 protons, 6 neutrons, and a
charge of 3+ has an atomic number of
34. When a solid changes to a liquid it is
35. When a gas changes into a liquid it is
36. What is it called when a solid changes
directly into a gas?
37. What is the name given to substances
that are initially involved in a chemical
38. Atoms of the same chemical element that
have different atomic mass are known as?
55. There are ______ liters of blood in adult
56. The study of heredity is called
57. The two types of prokaryotes are
__________ and ____________
58. Anything that has mass and occupies
space is called _______________.
59. The average adult human skeleton has
_______ bones. 206
60. The common pathway for the digestive
system and respiratory system
61. The smallest, basic, structural and
functional unit of living things is called
62. The process that produces sex cells is
c. cell cycle
63. How many different types of amino acids
are there in nature?
A) 15 B) 30 C) 60 D) 20
64. All of the following are not found in
animal cells except
a. Cell wall
c. large vacuole
d. cell membrane
65. The only liquid none metal is ___________
66. The most abundant element in the human
body is ____
67. The most abundant element in the
universe is ____
68. The most abundant element in the earth’s
crust is ____
69. The largest part of the human brain is the
70. The second most abundant element on
earth is ____
71. The opposite of evaporation is
72. __________ is the thermal energy that
flows from a material with a higher
temperature to one with a lower
a. Kinetic energy
d. Potential energy
73. Which is not a pure substance?
b. copper wire
74. The atomic number is the
a. same as the mass number of an atom.
b. number of protons in a nucleus.
c. number of protons and neutrons in the
d. number of neutrons in a nucleus.
75. A natural phenomenon that becomes
harmful due to pollution is _____________.
a. global warming
b. ecological balance
c. greenhouse effect
76. The pollutant responsible for ozone holes
77. One of the best solutions to get rid of
non-biodegradable wastes is ______________
78. Which of the following is only a physical
a. magnesium burns brightly when heated
b. marble chips fizz with acid
c. heating green copper carbonate powder
turns it black
d. when zinc oxide is heated it turns yellow,
on cooling it becomes white
79. An athlete completes a 40 m race in 5
seconds. What is the average speed of the
a. 9 m/s
b. 8 m/s
c. 200 m/s
d. 35 m/s
80. The resultant of balanced forces is
a. non zero
b. equal to zero
c. not equal to zero
d. equal to the acceleration produced in the
81. The physical quantity, which is the
measure of inertia, is ________
82. The S.I. unit of force is
83. What is the force acting on an object of
mass 10 kg moving with a uniform velocity of
a. 100 N
b. 10 N
d. 1 N
84. The resultant of action and reaction
forces is _______.
a. greater than zero
b. less than zero
d. none of the above
85. Which substance cannot be decomposed
into simpler substances?