Display: Reaching the People
You Want, Where They Are
Partner & SEM – Five Mill
• Partner at Five Mill. Made up of
paid search pros with avg. of 10
• Specialize in medium-to-large
scale paid search accounts.
• Live in Virginia with my husband
and this cutie.
GDN Targeting Boils Down
Targeting by site/content
Targeting by audience
Site Focus: Topical Targeting
“Show my ads on websites with topics
related to…” (there are over 5,000)
Site Focus: Keyword Targeting
“Show my ads on web pages containing all
or some of the keywords I specify…”
-Keep ad groups tightly focused
-Utilize negative keywords sparingly
Site Focus: Placement
“Show my ads on these specific sites…”
-Don’t assume you know where your target audience is
-Build this list from running on broader targeting
-Note: Placement means anywhere on that site, so you
may show on a lot of irrelevant stuff!
Bonus tip: Exclude adsenseformobileapps.com to avoid paying for clicks from clumsy
People: Audience Targeting
“Show my ads to people who…”
-Looking to buy
-Limited time membership
-Example: In-Market to purchase a car
-Permanent member of a “fan club”
-Longer lifetime engagement vs. in-market
-Example: automotive enthusiasts
Customized audience based on criteria YOU
specify. (Cuz the GDN just doesn’t have it.)
Gimme An Example
You sell a line of high-end desserts for
…Are There No Vegans?
It means you gotta find ‘em yourself with layering.
It Doesn’t Mean They Don’t
“Layering” = overlapping display tactics to laser-focus your ads on the
people you actually want.
Custom Affinities Help, Too
Please use this. It makes me so
frustrated when marketers don’t.
Target Based On What They
• Abandoned cart.
• Viewed certain pages on the site but didn’t convert to a
• Purchased, eligible for upsell.
• Signed up for a free trial. Start showing ads just before
….and any other combination that’s large enough to show
Know what people do & when
Set up Audiences:
•30 day - Target
•8 days - Exclude
Leverage the Time Lag report to see when it’s not worth
showing your ads anymore, and/or when to start showing
Advice On Creating Audiences
• If large, break into time frames, if for no other reason then
• Exclude audiences: purchasers, those who stayed less
than 20 seconds, those who visited customer service
• When you create a new audience, Google will create a
• Based on Display browsing activity over 30 days, finds
users with shared interests & characteristics
• The bigger the audience size, the better it can find similar
users – min. of 500 cookie’d users.
More Brilliant Audience Advice
(…courtesy of FiveMill’s President, the
“other” Susan W.)
• Requires Shopping Feed/Merchant Center
• Requires a leeeeeeeetle extra coding finesse
• Worth the effort
Campaign Type Sum of Revenue/Cost
Display Remarketing 3.7
Dynamic Remarketing 5.7
Ready? Set. Go.
• Determine WHERE your audience is and isn’t, based on
the Placements report.
• Determine WHO your audience is. Use layers to get hyper-
• Determine WHAT they want and need, based on how they
interact with your site.
• Test, Test and Test some more.
Thanks For Listening!