Local Savvy In Global Ad Platforms
Who Am I?
• 11 years online marketing
• Agency and in-house experience
• SEM & Social Advertising, Partner at Five Mill
– Bing Ads
– Facebook Ads
Reaching Customers In Your Desired
Let’s talk about how to
target and get them to
you, and the challenges
in doing so.
Even With Simple Targeting…
Control and anticipation of later needs is important.
Target Wide, But Plan By Adding Segments
Doing So Makes It Easier Later
Side Note: Location Characteristics Aren’t
Got a Google Business Page? Link It.
Not There, But Need It There
• Reaching users outside your geotargeted area who
still might need what you offer specifically in your
The Definition of “Showing Interest”
“People can show interest through terms used in their
searches, content that they viewed online, if they
were recently in a location, or other methods.”
• Geographic Report
– Users in and those interested in your area
• User Location Report
– Users only IN your area
– Performance based on how far away they are from
your business location (Google My Business)
Interest vs. Physical Location
• Campaign geo’d to
outside your target.
• Exclude your target.
• Add intended area as a
modifier so it’s required
in the search.
Like Phone Calls?
• Call Only Campaigns. (Love ‘em or hate ‘em…)
• Set up campaigns within a certain radius of your
• Focus on mobile/immediacy searches.
– Tailor ad copy around the urgency
Think Smart About Mobile Immediacy
Campaign Type: Call Only
Geo: 5 miles around address
Keywords: “near me” and town names
Results: 44% conversion rate (3% on
Cost per Call: $64 ($163 on regular)
Before You Go Crazy and Go Hyper-
Local On All the Things…
• Parts do not equal the whole
– Every zip together doesn’t equal the city
• Especially an issue with mobile targeting
Challenges With Hyper-Local
Higher CPCs combined with less volume = disaster
FL CPA running nationwide:
FL CPA its own Campaign: $130.99
Well, That Sucks.
But, one way we have seen better volume…remember this?
Manhattan Zips vs. Borough
Zips Only Zips OnlyCity minus non-
If Zips Are a Must, Consider…
Some zips are too small to be
geotargeted. Use a radius around found
zips to help with coverage.
Also: Let’s Not Do the Opposite of
• Be wary of hyper-segmentation that kills volume
• Plan for differences in performance between geos
• When possible, target wide and exclude vs. targeting specific and
• Consider adding a radius around targeted areas for mobile users