Pubcon 2015: Control Freak Structures for Google Shopping
Google Shopping Campaigns:
Crafty Structures, Control
Obligatory “Me” Slide.
• Dallas. Hot. Flat.
• Husband, 4 mo. old daughter, 3 cats, 1 dog. Full
• PPC. Love it. Get grumpy over it.
• Sr. Mgr at Clix Marketing. PPC is our groove.
Or This. (You’ll wind up with
Let’s Start With the Basics
You are bidding on this.
Not on this.
• Lack of Control
• Lack of Structure
• Google’s Defaults
Product Groups Mostly Suck.
Hey! Let’s go see our Product
Group performance in Analytics…
JUST KIDDING GUYZ.
Product Groups ARE Good for Benchmarks
Craft Your Structure Craftily
• By ROAS
• By Top Sellers
• By Margin
• By Product Types
• By Brand Names
• By SKUs
Custom Labels, Y’all.
You can have up to four custom labels per item in your feed.
Item Custom Label 0 Custom Label 1 Custom Label 2 Custom Label 3 Custom Label 4
Thing 1 Winter High Margin New for 2015 Designer
Thing 2 Winter Low Margin Designer
Thing 3 Fall High Margin Best Seller In-House Brand
Thing 4 Summer Closeout In-House Brand
Divide Up Smartly
• Allocate spend
• Account for geo-targeting differences
• Use Priorities
• Negative keyword mirroring
Negative Keywords, Y’all.
Craft your negative keyword strategy to help matching further.
Brand or SKU, etc
All Other Campaigns/Ad Groups:
Brand or SKU as a negative
Case Study: ROAS Division
- High vs. Low ROAS
- Geographical modifiers
“But I still have no control over query
• Meet Martin Roettgerding.
Follow him on Twitter @bloomarty. The
guy is awesome at Shopping.
• Also meet Kirk Williams. Follow him,
Ok, Fancypants. Does It Work?
Does it always work?
• Slow build.
• Restructuring should be done slowly.
• You will have to experiment with your bids.
• May not help CPA, depending on whether industry is
brand name/SKU heavy in nature.
Try All the Betazz: Target ROAS
Target by ROAS Learnings
• Scale is required to make it work.
• Stable account history.
• Beware of volume decreases to hit ROAS.
Wrap Up & Bonus Reading
• Shopping is one ginormous Broad Match campaign.
Behave, structure, and plan accordingly.
• Think through creative ways to funnel keyword
matching and craft your structure to help it happen.
(Marty’s way: http://bit.ly/1Y52IlG)
• Experiment with keyword-level bids (want your brain
to explode? http://bit.ly/1KaEehv)
Find Me to Chat or Ask Questions!