THE WORLD IS FLAT
Five concepts from the Book World is
Flat and the role of Communication
to implement them
• Outsourcing is the procurement of services,
which were previously produced in house,
from sources that are external to the
• Components of outsourcing
Role of Communication to implement it:
• Ideas need to be communicated to the
employees, staff, departments since the change is
not pleasant as they have to give up their comfort
zone, correct tone, language, communication
channel would make them easy to understand.
• The number of meetings with managers needs to
• The information has to be put be intranet.
• Also the Web link can be provided where they
can get access to the detailed information about
the changes in the organization and understand
• Posters, tagline, animates pictures can be posted
in the organization to make people aware the
changes. With this everyone would be
encouraged to adopt the changes.
• Proactive communication is a different strategy
that would smoothen the work.
• Frequent and open communication to match the
expectations of the deliverables.
• Quality of service which is best measured
through customer satisfaction questionnaires
which are designed to capture an unbiased view.
• In the area of call centers end-user-experience is
deemed to be of lower quality when a service is
outsourced. This happens when services are
outsourced from regions where the first language
and culture are different
• The following communication technologies
could be used.
• Instant messaging
• Issue Tracking Systems
• New Time management methods such
as Time Tracking Software
• Offshoring is the practice of basing some of a
company's processes or services overseas, so
as to take advantage of lower costs in terms of
cheap labor, fewer taxes, subsidized energy
and lower health care cost.
• Continuous controlling
• Continuous communication
• Detailed contracting
• Clear project goals
• Detailed project
• Thinking beyond cost savings
• Effective risk management
• Language abilities
• Project team
• Quality employees
• Cultural awareness (It is
• A part of effective communication
vendor and its
Offshore BPO success
• Quality medium
• Interpretation differences
WORK FLOW SOFTWARE
• Since the world is changing every day, we need to
be updated to be in competition. Rise and
integration of software enabled more people in
more places to design, display, manage, and
collaborate on business data.
• Implementing the change: The basic problem
while implementing a software is the fear of
learning new technology. This will result in delays
in software implementation and users will lose
confidence in the new system.
• Providing employee training on the newly developed
business processes and technology .The example of
other company that have implemented the software
and succeeded could be quoted. This will boost the
• Modifying software by listing the available features in
the new system and matching it business
requirements. Priority level can be set. User knowledge
level and confidence level can be identified and
presented using charts and graphs. Also the gaps can
be filled up by training and instructing them.
• Company wide test evaluation can be conducted
to ensure the comfort level
• Evaluation of progress on a semi-annual basis
• Establishing a way-forward process that would
include employees in planning and decision
making and establishing an organizational
process that would engage the employees more
closely with the external contributor. They can
identify opportunities to realize the
responsiveness and efficiencies of the new
technology/business process solution
The 8 step change process
• Establishing a sense of urgency
• Creating a guiding coalition
• Developing the vision and strategy
• Communicating the changed vision
• Empowering people to effect change
• Generate Short term wins
• Consolidate gains, produce more change
• A supply chain is a system of organizations,
people, activities, information, and resources
involved in moving a product or service from
supplier to customer
• Supply Chaining Is a method of collaborating
horizontally among them to create value.
• Listening is an important part of the
• Listening to the suppliers’ recommendations
• Working closely with the core suppliers to
ensure a constant flow of raw materials—
critical components in the processes—to serve
the future demand.
• Predictive planning, enhanced by the creation
of supply models that are based on
anticipated customer demand. These models
keep an eye on recent history and identify
business trends, giving time to plan and react
without putting an inventory burden on
suppliers or surprising them with unexpected
• Continual balancing act between our forecast
and our actual supply needs can be
maintained using these models.
• The goals of your supply chain components
and those that you deal with must be similar
and conducted at the same speed.
• Good communication can keep the extended
supply chain in sync.
• Blogging : People can offer their own opinion
pieces and news cutting down the middlemen
• Wikipedia : Community of geeks in the library
is now writing its own encyclopedia entries,
uploading them to the world and cutting
down the traditional book form
• Podcasting : Offering songs, videos, poetry, rap
• Virtual Commercial Community : People policing
themselves as trustworthy buyers or sellers.
• Bit Torrent : Uploading the music and video
library and Downloading other people’s at the
• Web Server is a software program that enables
anyone to use his or her home or office computer
to host a website on World Wide Web.