A Comparative Study of Traditional and Creative Questions in SSC General Science Examination
A Comparative Study of Traditional and
Creative Questions in SSC General
Suraya Yeasmin Jui
Aims and Context:
• Aim of education system
• Importance of public examination
• Limitation of traditional question
• Newly introduced assessment system
• Matter of interest
• Enhanced students learning
• Promote better assessment
• Assessing wider abilities
• Alternative ways
• Analyze traditional question papers in terms of
• Analyze creative question papers in terms of
• Compare traditional question papers and
creative question papers according to Bloom’s
• Nature of the Study:
Quantitative (Documents Analysis)
• Data Gathering:
SSC General Science
Question 2009 (all boards)
SSC General Science
Question 2013 (all boards)
Analyze and Compare According to
• Appropriate proportion
• Stress in MCQ item making
• Limiting use of Knowledge based item
• Increasing Analysis, Synthesis
and Evaluation type items
• High preference at Bloom’s Taxonomy
• Ahmed, S. S. (2002). The Effect of Public Examination on the Process of Students’
Learning. Unpublished Med thesis, Institute of Education and Research, University of
• Bloom, B.S. (1956). Taxonomy of educational objectives - Handbook 1. Cognitive domain.
• Halim, A. M. and Hossain, M. E. (2009). Assessment of Mathematics Question Paper of
SSC Examination. NAEM Journal, 4(8), 97-104.
• Hossain, M. Z. (2009). Creative Questions: Validity and Reliability of Secondary School
Certificate Examination. Bangladesh Education Journal, 8(2), 31-41.
• Karl O. Jones, Janice Harland, Juliet M.V. Reid and Rebecca Bartlett. (2009, October).
Relationship Between Examinations and Bloom’s Taxonomy . Paper presented at 39th
ASEE/IEEE Frontiers in Education Conference, San Antonio, TX.
• KARAMUSTAFAOĞLU,S. and SEVİM,S. (2003). Analysis of Turkish High-School
Chemistry-Examination Questions According to Bloom’s Taxonomy. Chemistry
Education: Research and Practice, 4(1), 25-30.
• Nitko, J. A. (1996). Educational Assessment of Students (2nd ed.). Ohio, New Jersey/
Columbus, Englewood cliff: Prentice Hall, Inc.