A. INTRODUCTION OF WITH COOKERY.
B. CLASSIFICATION WITH MENU EXAMPLES.
C. CUTS OF FISH AND SHELL FISH.
D. SELECTION OF FISH AND SHELL FISH.
E. COOKING OF FISH .
(EFFECT OF HEAT)
FISH AND SHELL FISH
• FISH:- Fish are aquatic vertebrates with fins for
swimming and gills for breathing.
• SEAFOOD:- A collective term of shellfish and
other small edible marine animals like crabs,
CLASSIFICATION OF FISH
• FIN FISH:- WHITE FISH CONTAINS FAT
QUALITES OF GOOD FISH
Fish should look and smell fresh.
The scale should be bintact, firmly adhering,
The eyes should be full and bulging but not
The grills of the fish should be bright red.
HOW TO SELECT SHELL FISH
• The claws of crabs should be springly and not
• The eyes should be bright.
• The tail of lobsters should spring back when
• Shrimp and prawns must be crisp.
• Oyster shells should be tightly closed.
Cuts of Fish
Darne :- Steak or slice of a round fish cut on
Troncon:- steak or slice of a flat fish cut on the
Paupiette:- thin slice of a fish from one entire
side of fish.
Fillet:- usually a boneless cut of fish from one
entire of fish.
MAIN COURSES OF FISH AND
FISH N CHIPS- A simple preparation made
with firm textured fishes such as cod and
seas bass which are rationally dipped in a
batter of flour, egg salt, baking powder,
and deep fried.
FISH ORLY:-Fish fillet is marinated bin
lemon juice, oil chopped parsley and salt.
• SOLE MEUNIERE:- The fish is marinated,
patted with flour and shallow fried in hot
butter. served with slices of lemon and
sprinkled with lemon juice, hot brown butter
and chopped parsley at last moment.
• BELLE MEUNIERE:- Very similar to meuniere
but garnished with blanched tomatoes ,sliced
sautéed mushrooms and few grains of caviar.
• Red snapper duglere:- fish is poached in white
wine and fish fumet. The conking liquid is
strained and reduced to a sauce like
consistency with sautéed chopped garlic .
• Sole Veronique:- fish is poached in fumet and
served with balanced and peeled white grapes
and fish veloute is made with a poaching
• Salmon coulibiac:- salmon fillet arranged over
a layer of cooked rice, chopped hard boiled
eggs and duxeloles enclosed or covered with
brioche dough baked and served like a pie.
• Sole Nicoise:- Marinated fillet of sole placed
on bed of tomato concasse and baked in a hot
oven , served with garnish of black oli9ves ,
anchovy fillets and slices of lemon.
TO preserve and enhance the delicate flavor of
fish, the liquor in which they are poached is
prepared with care. The poaching liquor is
called court boullian. They are different types
of court boullian
• White court boullion.
• Ordinary court boullian.
• White wine court boullian
• Reed wine court boullian.
RECIPE OF COURT BOULLION
• WATER:-1lt,salt(coarse sea salt)-
• Bay leaves-2nos,parsleystalks-
FISH POTATOTES VEGETABLES ACCOMPANIMENT
GRILLED/FRIED FRIED/SAUTEED GREEN SALAD,
SAUCE, SLICE SOF
CAPER SAUCE ETC.
BOILED/STEAMED BOILED IN
BAKED BAKED/BOILED OR