WHAT IS CLEANING?
Cleaning is the
removal of dust,
and stains from
with the aid of
Principles of Cleaning
• TIME- How long the job is
• TEMPERATURE- Correct
temperature has to be maintained
to the particular cleaning
• MECHANICAL ACTION- Friction
of the force required to do the job.
• CHEMICAL ACTION- Power of
the chemicals that are used in the
• PROCEDURES- Following
correct cleaning and sanitizing
procedures. SUNIL KUMAR
Cleaning of an Occupied Room
ENTERING THE GUESTROOM
• Knock on the door with your knuckles and announce
• If the guest bids you to enter, ask if you may service
the room. If the guest is willing, proceed to clean the
room. In case the guest does not want the room
serviced, ask for an alternative time.
• In case there is no answer from the guest after you
have knocked for three times then use your key to
open it. Make sure that guest is not in the room and
if this happens then apologize.
• Upon entering the room, keep the door wide open
and position the cart in front of the door.SUNIL KUMAR
PREPARING TO CLEAN THE
• Ventilate the room by
drawing back the drapes
and opening the windows.
Also check the curtain
rings and tracks.
• Remove room-service
trays and used tea trays.
• Switch on all electrical
appliances and check that
they are in working order.
• Empty ashtrays,
wastepaper baskets and
the sani-bin into the trash
bag on the cart.
CLEANING THE GUESTROOM
Always clean from higher to lower levels.
• Damp-dust the door and all the door fixtures.
• Damp-dust cabinets and closets.
• Damp-dust the mini bar & replenish whatever has
• Damp-dust the luggage rack.
• Damp-dust the dressing table, drawer and lighting
• Clean the mirror.
• Damp-dust the bedside tables.
• Dry dust lamp shades and bulbs of bedside lamps.
• Damp-dust all the fixtures and accessories in the
• Vacuum upholstered
furniture and re-arrange
• Vacuum the carpet edges
and floor baseboards.
• Clean window frames &
• Damp-dust the
headboard of the bed.
• Disinfect the telephone.
• Spot-clean the walls.
• Vacuum and mop the
• Replenish the bedroom supplies if
• Making the bed
1. Strip the bed.
2. Straighten the mattress protector.
3. Place the bottom sheet.
4. Place the top sheet.
5. Place the blanket.
6. Place the crinkle sheet.
7. Fold back the top sheet and the crinkle sheet over the
8. Put the pillowcases on pillows and place on the bed.
9. Place the bedspread on the bed.
CLEANING THE BATHROOM
• Put on protective gloves and an apron.
• Apply the toilet cleaner so that it can sit for sometime.
• Damp-dust the door and door fixtures & the toilet-roll holder.
• Clean and disinfect the wall phone.
• Clean the bath tub, surrounding tiles, shower area & vanity unit
using a wet sponge and neutral detergent.
• Clean the mirror.
• Clean the shower curtain using a damp sponge.
• Replenish toiletries and other supplies.
• Replace used towels with fresh ones.
• Using a toilet brush, clean the inside of the toilet bowl & apply a
disinfectant on the toilet seat.
• Check all electric appliances.
• Mop the floor.
• Take a critical look around, leave the door open and exit the
bathroom. SUNIL KUMAR
• Tidy the guest’s
• Never touch any
valuables or money left
in the room.
• Inform the floor
supervisor so that
he/she can inspect the
• Take a last critical look
around the serviced
Research Scholar/ Food Production
Institute of Hotel and Tourism Management,
MAHARSHI DAYANAND UNIVERSITY,
Haryana- 124001 INDIA Ph. No. 09996000499
email: firstname.lastname@example.org ,