• Colleges produce only 25% of Employable
graduates (10% in Tamil Nadu), 96% in
• Unskilled people increase production cost by
20 – 50 %
• Unskilled students takes jobs by chance not by
• 60% recruits are fresher 5
The key element here is that the education
system in the West fosters
"out of the box thinking".
For example, it strongly encourages
What we lack…..?
• Self learning
• South Asians are weakness centered
• Deviance is discouraged.
• Risk taking is mocked.
• Students here now routinely score 90 per
• Memorising is no learning
We may have the most number of
engineering graduates in the
world, but that certainly has not
translated into much
technological innovation here.
Rather, we are busy running the
call centres of the rest of the world
– that is where our engineering
skills end. 8
Teaching PedagogyTeaching Pedagogy
We think too much about
effective methods of teaching
and not enough about effective
methods of learning.
I hear and I forget.
I see and I believe.
I do and I understand.
They are not students of our
generation, where they sit down
and listen. Things have changed
now; they want to explore.
Use of Technology
-How does this help?
• Allows students more control of their own
• Allows teachers to guide more, teach less
• Allows student to build up knowledge, and
become part of the teaching process
• Can provide some really engaging learning
"brain drainbrain drain"
In the past decade alone, there has been a
256 per cent increase in the number of
students studying abroad. The number
now stands at 200,000 annually, cost
India $17 billion annually in lost revenue.14
research and innovation
"Give a man a fish and you feed him
for a day.
Teach a man to fish and you feed him
for a lifetime"
“The illiterate of 21st
will not be those who cannot
read and write but those who