Can creating or remediating WordPress sites to include Accessibility increase clients and web designers profits?
Can you measure how much money businesses are losing out on because of a non-Accessible website?
Can profits be lost by designers who are not including Accessibility in their services?
The answer to all of the above is “Yes.”
Profitability of Accessibility WordPress Accessibility Day 2020
The Profitability of Accessibility
Sumner M. Davenport
WP Accessibility Day 2020
Definition of Profitability
the degree to which a business or activity yields profit or financial gain.
What is Accessibility?
• Removing barriers that prevent people from accessing a building, an area, a
service, a website or a digital product.
• Creating products that are usable by people with the widest possible range
• Making things accessible to all people.
What is Web Accessibility?
Web accessibility” refers to a website designed to include
all users, including it being easily used or accessed by people
with disabilities with the same ease of access as a user without a disability.
Accessibility involves a wide range of disabilities, including visual, auditory,
physical, speech, cognitive, language, learning, and neurological.
Is There a Need for Web Accessibility?
People with Disabilities, their families, and communities make up
a powerful consumer base.
Is there a problem with lack of Web
1 Million Sites
Are there other problems with lack of Web
Increase in web
Most common types of WCAG 2 failures
WCAG Failure Type % of home pages
Low Contrast Text 86.3%
Missing alternative text for images 66.0%
Empty Links 59.9%
Missing form input labels 53.8%
Empty buttons 28.7%
Missing document language 28.0%
Common Problems Referenced in lawsuits
• The Website prevents screen reader from accessing some primary content;
• The Website does not provide a text equivalent for non-text elements;
• Forms lack functionality for disabled;
• Text cannot be resized up to 200% without loss of content or functionality;
• Content enforces a time limit, the user is not able to extend, adjust or disable;
• Web pages do not have titles;
• The purpose of each link cannot be determined from the link text alone.
What is the Solution to Lack of Accessibility?
• Make products that are accessible to everyone
• Remediate products and areas that have barriers
• Support companies and products
that are accessible
• Innovate new products
Increased VALUE for Designers and Companies
Accessibility can drive innovation
Enhance your brand
Accessibility + SEO
Extend market reach
Minimize legal risk
Profitability for Companies
People with disabilities are not a solitary market;
they are surrounded by family members and friends
who also recognize the value in products and services
that accommodate all people in society.
Profitability for Companies - US
• The total after-tax disposable income for working-age
people with disabilities is about $490 billion
• Discretionary income for working-age people with
disabilities is about $21 billion
Individuals with hearing difficulties represent the disability
category with the greatest amount of discretionary income,
followed by those with Vision disabilities.
Profitability for Companies - UK
UK Office of National Statistics (ONS) estimates that the number of
UK disabled adults who are active internet users is 10.07 million
Users with access needs have a combined spending power of £24.8 billion
69% of people will simply click-away when confronted with a problematic
The size of the Click-Away Pound is more than £17 billion
This spending is ‘re-directed’ to barrier-free sites, as people who ‘click away’
will seek to find an accessible alternative and spend their money there.
Marketing to the Disabled Community
• Develop products that meet the needs of people with disabilities.
• Build or remediate all digital products to Accessibility success standards.
• Community involvement.
• Employ people with disabilities.
• Inclusive advertising.
• Accessibility Statement.
Value vs Cheapest
Captured from Facebook
Automatic Accessibility Checkers
Deque Axe-Pro Beta (https://deque.com)
Tenon.io API (http://tenon.io)
WAVE Toolbar Online (http://wave.webaim.org/)
and Browser Add-on.
(Microsoft + AXE) Accessibility Insights for the Web
AXE Browser Add-on.
Chrome Accessibility Developer Tools.
AInspector – Firefox Add-on
Web Accessibility Initiative https://www.w3.org/WAI/
Deque University https://dequeuniversity.com/
University of Illinois http://bit.ly/UnivIllinois-classes
University of Washington https://www.washington.edu/accessibility/
Native User Testers
Knowbility Access Works https://access-works.com/
Links and Resources
• The WebAIM Million
An annual accessibility analysis of the top 1,000,000 home pages
• Click Away Pound Report: http://bit.ly/Click-Away-Pound
• AIR – Hidden Market: Purchasing Power of Working-Age Adults with
• Web Accessibility Lawsuits, PACER: https://pacer.uscourts.gov/
98.1% of websites need remediation
1 in 4 people have a recognized disability
Accessibility is International
Plan your design to include Accessibility
Have a strategy for Remediation
Understand the why and how of your Value to a client
Understand the potential market so you can explain it to your client
Check the obvious – fonts, structure, color schemes, video/audio captions/transcripts.
Don’t rely only on automated testers, Test your site MANUALLY
Have a native user of Accessibility technology test your site
Be transparent in your work and share reports with your clients
Support the Community