Near Field Communication Technology
School of Electronics & Communication Engineering
Shri Mata Vaishno Devi University
Katra – 182 320, Jammu & Kashmir, INDIA
What is NFC Technology?
• A short-range radio technology that operates on the 13.56 MHz
frequency, with data transfers of up to 424 kilobits per second.
• NFC communication is triggered when two NFC-compatible de-
vices are brought within proximity, around four centimeters.
Operation of NFC
1. Based on Inductive coupling
2. Magnetic Induction between two loop antennas [located within
each other’s near ﬁeld]
3. An initiator and a target
Modes of Operation
1. Active Mode
2. Passive Mode
How do the Delhi Metro cards and tokens work?
• Delhi Metro tokens and cards have an NFC tag inside which
allows the exit machines to read/write data on it.
• The communication used at Metro Exit Gates is ‘Active-Passive
• The transmission frequency used in Delhi Metro is 13.56 MHz
and data transfer takes place at 212 kbps.
Advantages of NFC
1. Highly convenient from users’ perspective
2. Secure Communication
3. No manual conﬁguration and settings
4. No search and pair procedure [inquiry and inquiry scan in
Limitations of NFC
1. Short range operation
2. Low data transfer rate [in kbps]
Devices exploiting NFC technology
1. Samsung Galaxy S II
2. Google Nexus 7
3. Nokia 6212 Classic
NFC Task Launcher
1. Task launcher is a great way to bring the beneﬁts of NFC into
2. Whether the tag turns our phones to silent when we get home
from work or turns on our Bluetooth as we get into the car, the
options are limitless.
3. Some phones have some task launcher functions built in.
• The MIT Mobile Experience Laboratory demonstrates several
real-world uses of NFC in phones, including making payments
and pairing devices for peer-to-peer games .
• Johnson’s Control is exploiting NFC in monitoring data centers
• Bump Technologies has built an API to support communication
between two devices after they’ve “bumped” together .
[1 ] MIT Mobile Experience Lab. A day at mit with near-ﬁeld communication.
[2 ] Online Available:
dam/WWW/jci/be/solutions for your/datacenter/Modular%20Data%20Center%20Brochure.pdf
[3 ] Bump technologies. [Online] Available: http://bu.mp.