Athens DaaS Meetup Group
1st introductory meetup
• About the group /organizer / members
• Why? What?
• Citrix history
• Citrix products and technologies
• Citrix communities
• Citrix professional certifications
• How? Upcoming meetup planning
What’s in it for me?
• Citrix technical skills demand will increase over the next decade
• Gain knowledge and hands-on experience, get certified
• Understand enterprise architectures and industry best practices
• Citrix is the global market leader in Application and Desktop virtualization
• Forrester research white paper: https://www.citrix.com/products/xenapp-xendesktop/form/forrester-
• Desktop As A Service (DaaS) is a highly growing technology and trend
• Learn, interact, network
Early phase (1989-1996)
• (1989) Founded in Richardson, Texas, USA, then moved offices to Coral Springs, Florida.
• Ed Iacobucci (chairman, former IBM developer), Randy Wood and Glen Hamblin. Citrix = Citrus + UNIX
• (1991) Citrix Multiuser version 1.0
• Extension of OS/2, source code licensed from Microsoft (http://jonudell.net/archive/citrixFirstImpression.html)
• Independent Computing Architecture (ICA) protocol, later branded “HDX”.
• (1991) Microsoft announcement switching from OS/2 to Windows/DOS.
• (1992) New version 2.0 of Multiuser for Windows/DOS.
• Allowed up to five users.
• (1993) WinView, remote applications server, run DOS and Windows applications.
• (1995) WinFrame, multi-user operating system based on Microsoft’s Windows NT
• Allowed up to 15 users and was the first thin client for Windows.
Second phase (1997 – 2000)
• (1997) New Citrix headquarters in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, USA
• (1997) Microsoft to license Citrix technology for Windows NT Server 4.0
• (1998) Windows Terminal Server Edition released.
• (1998) Citrix MetaFrame v.1.0 released with Windows Terminal Server.
• ICA prevailed over RDP as superior protocol
• (1999) Citrix ICA thin client model becoming a trend
• An interactive Citrix history map available at: https://www.citrix.com/go/20.html
Recent history (2001 – today)
• (2001) MetaFrame XP released.
• (2003) Introduced GoToMyPC, GoToAssist, GoToMeeting.
• (2005) Metaframe XP rebranded to Citrix Presentation Server.
• (2005) Citrix Netscaler (acquisition, Netscaler).
• (2007) XenServer (acquisition , XenSource).
• (2008) Citrix Presentation Server rebranded to XenApp.
• (2011) Citrix ShareFile (acquisition, ShareFile).
• (2013) Citrix XenMobile (acquisition of ByteMobile and Zenprise).
Citrix products and technologies
Application and desktop virtualization (1)
• Hosted applications and desktops
• Server OS images
• Hosted applications and VDI desktops
• VDI (Virtual Desktop Infrastructure)
• Client OS images
• Features and comparison:
Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) and
Mobile Device Management (MDM)
• Mobile device/application management and security
• BYOD (Bring Your Own Device)
• Citrix MDX app containers
• Features and comparison:
Enterprise file sync and sharing (EFSS)
• Secure, enterprise-grade data sharing
• Sync services on-premises and in the cloud
• Features and comparison: https://www.citrix.com/products/sharefile/
• NetScaler and Netscaler-SDWAN (former Cloud Bridge / Branch Repeater)
• Scalable network infrastructure, H/A, performance, security
• Multiple versions available (SDX, MPX, VPX, CPX)
• Features and comparison: https://www.citrix.com/products/netscaler-
• Citrix Receiver client for Windows, Mac, Linux
• Citrix Receiver client for Android, iOS, Windows Phone, Chrome OS
• Citrix Receiver for Web access
• Citrix Receiver HTML5 client
• Free download from https://receiver.citrix.com
• Citrix Receiver demo: https://youtu.be/woyhUCzs7rc?t=56
Explore the community sites
• Citrix community resources (https://www.citrix.com/community.html)
• Citrix User Group Community (CUGC) (https://mycugc.org/)
• Community Support Forums (https://discussions.citrix.com/) and IRC channel (http://join.citrixirc.com/)
• Citrix Blogs (https://www.citrix.com/blogs/) and Citrix TV (https://www.youtube.com/user/CitrixTV)
• Citrix product documentation (https://docs.citrix.com/) and Citrix solutions lab (https://www.citrix.com/go/solutions-
• Citrix Developer Community (https://www.citrix.com/go/citrix-developer/overview.html)
• Octoblu developer community (IoT) (https://www.citrix.com/go/citrix-developer/octoblu-developer-community.html)
• Citrix Technology Professional (CTP) Program (https://www.citrix.com/community/ctp.html)
• Citrix Ready Community (https://citrixready.citrix.com/)
• My Citrix account (https://www.citrix.com/account)
Citrix professional certifications
Exams managed by Pearson Vue
App and Desktop Virtualization
• Citrix Certified Expert in Virtualization CCE-V
• Citrix Certified Professional in Virtualization CCP-V
• Citrix Certified Associate in Virtualization CCA-V
• Citrix Certified Professional in Networking CCP-N
• Citrix Certified Associate in Networking CCA-N
Enterprise Mobility Management
• Citrix Certified Professional in Mobility CCP-M
How do all these pieces fit together? How do they work?