This Research Spotlight provides a summary of the academic literature on whether companies with an independent chairman of the board exhibit better governance quality than companies with a dual chairman/CEO.
It reviews the evidence of:
• The relation between independent chair and market value
• Shareholder reaction to a decision to separate chairman and CEO roles
• Separation during the succession process
• Separation to improve oversight
• The impact of separation on performance
This Research Spotlight expands upon issues introduced in the Quick Guide “Board of Directors: Structure and Consequences.”