Companies today are all focused on finding new consumption models to better utilize the data they produce. This presentation will provide insights and best practices for creating the organization and sponsorship necessary to set the foundation for success.
For this session, Dan will provide an overview of the process and methodologies he employs to establish and sustain a Data Driven Culture. Key topics will include:
Data Driven Culture
Organizational Structure – Collaboration Hubs and Bi-Modal Analytics
Role of Hadoop and Big Data as Part of Data Driven Culture
Creating a Data Driven Organization - StampedeCon 2016
Data Driven Culture
July 28, 2016
• Who is Graybar?
• What is a Data Driven Culture?
• Who is Graybar D&A?
• Mode 1 Analytics
• Mode 2 Analytics
• Driving Change
Who is Graybar?
• Founded in 1869 by inventor ElishaGray and entrepreneur Enos Barton
• Incorporated asGraybar Electric Company, Inc. on Dec. 11, 1925
• One of the largest employee-owned companies in North America since 1929
• OUR BUSINESS
• Graybar is a leading North American distributor of electrical, communications and data networking
products and a provider of supply chain management and logistics services. We primarily serve the
construction market, the commercial, institutional and government (CIG) market, as well as the
industrial and utility markets.
• Through its distribution network and value-added services, including kitting and integrated
solutions, Graybar is helping its customers to power and network their facilities with speed,
intelligence and efficiency.
• LOCATIONS AND PEOPLE
• Through a network of more than 260 locations across the United States, Canada and Puerto Rico,
our 8,250 employees serve more than 130,000 customers. Our corporate headquarters is located in
St. Louis, Mo.
Rankings and Recognition
• No. 445 on the 2015 FORTUNE 500 ranking of America’s largest
• On the FORTUNEWorld’s MostAdmired Companies list for the 14th
consecutive year (2015)
• No. 66 on the Forbes America’s Largest Private Companies list (2014)
• Named one of theTopWorkplaces in Atlanta, Minneapolis, Nashville,
Southern Connecticut and St. Louis (2015)
• On the InformationWeek 500 annual ranking of the best and
brightest business technology innovators for the 12th consecutive
A Data Driven Culture
Educate on the significance of data
DevelopTrust with the Data
Governance is not an event with a conclusion
Let the data determine the result – remove Bias
“Don’t let the truth get in the way of a good story”
Iterate quickly – Fail Fast – Learn Fast
Not only is it okay to fail, but it is imperative to achieving success
Understand the objective
“Just in Case” reporting
Watch out for the shiny new toy
Know where you want to go before deciding which technology will get you
The “Real-Time Data” quandary
Determine the business impact?
Don’t go it alone – Partnerships drive success
Hortonworks,TDK, Datum, SAP, Platfora, LaunchCode
Charter and Priorities
• The Graybar Data & Analytics team has been established to develop and sustain an
environment that promotes Actionable Insights for all levels of the organization and
• Establish a platform for the design, development and release of consumable data that
provides consistency across all lines of business
• As a result, strengthen theTimeliness and Accuracy of the data being consumed
• Establish a governance model that allows for agility in the field while protecting
Graybar’s Systems and Data so as to not disrupt daily operations
• Innovate, Innovate, Innovate
• Fail Fast to charter a sustainable course
• Find Graybar’s Value in everything we do
Graybar D&A Organization
• Data Management
• Data source ingest and consume
• Innovation strategies for storage and compute
• CorporateAnalytics – Mode 1
• Analytics for the Graybar Consumer (internal)
• Data Discovery – Mode 2
• Advanced Analytics and Data Science
• Consumption of all types and sources of data
• Data Monetization
• System Design andArchitecture
• Cloud and On-Prem integrations
• Upgrades, Updates, Service Packs, etc.
• Licensing Administration
• UI/UX Design
Graybar D&A Org Chart
Mgr. of Data
3rd Party Off
3rd Party Off
Mgr. of Sys. &
Mgr. of Data
• Development and ongoing management of data and
tools to answer the immediate and long term needs
of the Graybar Business Community.
Teams Field Leads
SAP BWSAP ECC
• Focus on operational and transactional analytics that are consumed
repetitively on a fixed time frame for Graybar’s internal consumers.
• Primary technologies include SAP, Business Objects andTableau
• Analytic processes focused on disparate, most times very large data
sets that are utilized by both internal and external Graybar
• Primary technologies being utilized include Hadoop and Platfora.
Hypothesis: By monitoring and managing the data
related to specific end points, i.e. lighting, switches,
HVAC, etc., GBE will have the opportunity to increase
service levels to both suppliers and customers.
Start at theTop, build from the Bottom
Support comes from results
Kill the Bias!
Understand that it is everywhere
Welcome the Challenge
Everyone has a voice
TTWWADI – Status Quo
Be proactive to prove the new way
Embrace “Shadow IT”
Without them, you will not achieve your objectives
Many times Perception vs. Reality
Execute through Collaboration
Stop trying to under-promise so you can over-deliver
Work on your Sales Skills
You will need to sell to be successful
To improve is to change,
So to be perfect is
To have changed often
Dir. Business Information and Innovation