New Media was vital in all parts of my work; the blogging itself is a form a New Media, interactive, digital content. We use New Media in the form of our blogs, the video upload website Vimeo and the slideshow upload website SlideShare. New Media plays an important role in media today, so it is fitting that I, as a media student, have taken advantage of using it.
I used various media technologies to carry out and document my research. These include: Google Search, Microsoft PowerPoint and YouTube, Mictosoft Word, Microsoft Excel and Vimeo.
Microsoft PowerPoint has been used throughout this project to document my work in an attractive, concise manner.
Microsoft Excel was used in conjunction with Microsoft Word to construct graphs showing the results of my questionnaires.
I used Microsoft Word to document my questionnaires and their results. This is the easiest and most advanced word processing programme I have on my computer, so it made sense to use it above anything else.
Vimeo allowed me to watch the work of previous media students so that I could get an idea of the quality of work I was to produce. It also allowed me to watch the work of more professional, independent people, which enabled me to get some idea of what made a good trailer.
I used YouTube, a video sharing website, to view existing, professional movie trailers. Viewing trailers was necessary for my analysis. YouTube also allowed me to print screen shots in order to talk about them more clearly in PowerPoints.
Google allowed me to quickly locate relevant information, which was ideal. As such, my research was made far easier, and I could easily reach images that I could analyse (e.g. Magazine front covers, move posters) in order to get a better understanding of codes and conventions.
I used Photoshop to plan my poster and magazine cover. Most of the planning for my trailer was done offline in the form of a storyboard; however, the storyboard was found on Google, printed off and then scanned back on to the computer when complete.
I used Photoshop to construct basic layout skeletons for my magazine and poster – these skeletons provided a very basic framework for me to use.
I used Google Image Search to find a suitable storyboard – this was far more convenient than drawing a storyboard up.
I used the printer in order to print off the storyboard sheets. Likewise, when the storyboard sheets were filled, I used the scanner to put them back on the system.
Media technology was vital for the construction of my products. The programs I used for construction were: Photoshop, iMovie, GarageBand and InDesign.
Photoshop was used in the construction of my poster, magazine cover and trailer. Due to the advanced photo editing properties of Photoshop, I was able to airbrush the photos I used, as well as adjust the levels, brightness and contrast and add textures. Photoshop also allowed me to add text and edit it with strokes, glows and shadows.
I used InDesign with my poster and magazine. InDesign was used to make the completed products look more ‘professional’. Using InDesign, I added bleed marks and other printing paraphenalia to my document.
iMovie was used to construct my entire trailer. I chose iMovie for it’s sophisticated but easy to use software. iMovie allowed me to edit my clips appropriately. I used iMovie to add effects, edit clips together and to add music and voiceovers.
I used GarageBand to create music for my trailer. Using the sample loops of music, I was able to construct an appropriate soundtrack for my work.
Microsoft PowerPoint was the primary piece of media technology I used to evaluate my work. I also used Google to find relevant images to put on these PowerPoints.
I chose to use Microsoft PowerPoint to present my evaluations as it is easy to use, attractive and concise. I have used PowerPoint throughout the project to document progress for this reason.
Google allows me to find relevant information quickly – when evaluating, I sometimes need additional information on a topic or a small picture to illustrate something.