• Bhutan is a landlocked country between China and India
• “The Forbidden Kingdom”
• 38,394 km2
• Population of 770,000
• GDP = 1.781 billion USD
• Popularly known for GNH country.
Language and religion
• Bhutan's national language is Dzongkha.
• Consist of different ethnic languages.
• Schools conduct classes in English,
• A large proportion of the population especially urban residents
can speak English.
• Religious identity as a Buddhist nation.
• Buddhism influences both the daily lives of its people as well as
• welcomed without gender discrimination.
• A purification ritual is conducted in the house, after which the
outsiders come to the house to see the new born baby.
• Name of newly born child are given by religious person and
traditionally celebrating birthday was never existed.
Arranged marriages were popular just a few decades back.
Normally, people married among the relatives.
Dowry system doesn’t exist in our society.
• Death, the most expensive affair as it does not mean the end.
• It is merely passing on to another life.
• Many rituals are performed to help the departed soul get a better
• Rituals are performed after the 7th day, 14th day, 21st day and the
49th days of the death.
• Eats with hands.
• The family members sit on the floor in a circle and the mother serves
• Before eating, tossing some morsels of rice in the air as offering to
the deities and spirits. .
Art &crafts National game
Women's dress Men's dress
Urban education system
• Educated parents and more of learning
• More exposure to western societies
• Experienced teachers
Rural education system
• Less exposure
• Limited excess to the western book
• Inexperienced teachers
• Chanting religious prayer in the school
• Prayer schedule
1. Morning prayers
2. Evening prayers
• Singing national anthem every day
• Collectivism : dependent, silent etc…
• Power distance: fear to response
• Different ways of respect