” The Legacy of Soil Doctors from Thailand”
5 October 2020 @14.25-14.35
Department of Land Development
• Soil degradation, soil erosion, and problem soils
such as saline soils, acid soils, peat soils and
sandy soils including low organic matter. They
reduce the plant production and impact to
• Also improper land use results in land
Lead to poor living condition of farmers.
• Only 2,000 staffs of Land Development
Department in which responsible for soil
problems and management in Thailand,
therefore it is not enough for implementing
soil management and improvement.
• Farmers and local people are, therefore,
encouraged to participate in soil resources
maintenance, and implementation.
“Volunteer Soil Doctors” have been
established since 1995.
• “Volunteer Soil doctors” are farmers selected from
each village who are trained in the basic soil testing
program, soil mapping units and land degradation
techniques. They are representatives of LDD’s
officers and whose role is to assist farmers in
implementing proper land management practices.
• They are also messengers that distribute
information about land development to farmers
and transfer messages regarding land use problems
from farmers back to LDD.
How are they selected?
• Good health, at least 20 years of age, willing
to work ,
• Keen on land development activities and
reside in concerning areas ,
• Already received a general training to be
aware of the importance of land resources
management, conservation and basic
• After completion of the general training
a higher level training course will be
further provided for 10 selected innovative
farmers from each village.
one among others will be
appointed and registered to become a village
Volunteer Soil Doctors
• At present, there are approximately 80,000
of them represent the LDD at village level
to cover the whole country.
- Collaborators at different levels are involved.
Network of Volunteer Soil Doctors
• Land Development Department (LDD)
“LDD” is the core organization to conserve and
improve soil resources for agricultural productivity,
food security, and sustainable land use. LDD
provides to help volunteer soil doctor to perform
their task effectively.
The role of “LDD”
Learn how to take soil samples
What are projects/knowledge they participate?
LDD staffs trained farmers how to using organic fertilizers, good
agricultural practices which lead to the development of sustainable
Serve and transfer technology of LDD from
farmers to farmers
“ Soil biotechnology products” which LDD distribute
to farmers for soil improvement.
How successful has been made?
- Soil doctors will be the leaders and in charge of
passing on technology and implementing the
technology of LDD.
- Soil doctors help coordinate between officers
and farmers, then development or research
projects has become successful.
- Soil doctors also work as reporters in regarding
to disasters situation to reduce the impact to
Encourage investment, technical cooperation,
policy, education, awareness and extension in soils
The programme is developed under
the umbrella of the Global Soil
Partnership (GSP) by FAO as part of :
Encourage investment, technical cooperation, policy,
education, awareness and extension in soils